Premed 101 Forums

AAMC List of Medical School Decisions on 2015 MCAT

Hey guys, saw this link earlier today and thought it would be an interesting share for those of you who haven't seen it. I can't attest to how accurate it is (U of C has had a decision made for months, as has U of A and according to them, no policy decisions have been made). Check it out nonetheless as I'm sure it may be helpful to those of you hoping to apply to US schools as well.

Link:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf

It appears, as you stated, that this file is not up to date for Calgary and Alberta. Almost all the Canadian schools are 'Did not enter policy' too. Nevertheless, this info is really interesting for the American schools. Based on this PDF (which seems AAMC legit), only ONE American school is having a hard cut-off (only accepts new MCAT) in the 2016-2017 cycle. Makes me think of some questions: Why is the 2015-2016 cycle not mentioned? The US schools seem to want to hold onto the old MCAT's validity in general more than the Canadian ones- any speculation why this is the case??

From various threads I've looked into from people contacting schools, it seems Ontario schools (Queens/Western) will accept the old MCAT for the 5 year period after it was written. UBC has some sort of policy on their website that is similar until 2018(?). Manitoba has also listed their statement on their website. 

Why U of A and U of C have decided to only use the new MCAT is probably something they decided after thorough discussion. Maybe they do not believe the current MCAT reflects what is Ideal in a medical student? The new sections might be of greater interest to them (as to what a physician requires) and so they may want to see how people fair in sociology and psyschology. 

But who really knows  :confused:

From various threads I've looked into from people contacting schools, it seems Ontario schools (Queens/Western) will accept the old MCAT for the 5 year period after it was written. UBC has some sort of policy on their website that is similar until 2018(?). Manitoba has also listed their statement on their website. 

Why U of A and U of C have decided to only use the new MCAT is probably something they decided after thorough discussion. Maybe they do not believe the current MCAT reflects what is Ideal in a medical student? The new sections might be of greater interest to them (as to what a physician requires) and so they may want to see how people fair in sociology and psyschology. 

But who really knows  :confused:

Here is a blog post from Ian Walker that provides a little insight as to why they are not accepting the old MCAT. 

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2014/04/07/mcat-2015-redux/

And I mean - I would also be careful with Ontario schools. The fact that no one has really officially said anything is troubling for me. I know U of A was telling people that they would accept the new MCAT for 5 years, and then a few months ago they decided not to "officially". Just be wary!

There will be much less resources for the new MCAT therefore people with the best research skills and connections will score highest imo.

For example if you have a group of people and one person writes early and then tells his friends which material was the most similar to the real thing, that person will gain a huge advantage with respect to the rest of test takers.

Medschool cutoffs will also probably be lower since there will only be one cycle of new MCATS out and most people will jave only written it once (ie not many people will have time to rewrite until they hit cutoffs).

That being said, I think the best technique for the 2015 MCAT at least for the first summer, will be to book a test relatively early, get exposure to the test, determine which prep material is closest to the real thing, study hard until the end of the summer and ace the test having the advantage of already having seen the real thing.

Here is a blog post from Ian Walker that provides a little insight as to why they are not accepting the old MCAT. 

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2014/04/07/mcat-2015-redux/

And I mean - I would also be careful with Ontario schools. The fact that no one has really officially said anything is troubling for me. I know U of A was telling people that they would accept the new MCAT for 5 years, and then a few months ago they decided not to "officially". Just be wary!

I wouldn't be banking on any medical school policy being stable for 5 years, let alone the mcat. The schools haven't used it yet so it hard to see how it will pan out. It is also structurally hard to compare the old vs new tests when in the future so few will be applying with the old mcat - not impossible, just hard.

Archived