Premed 101 Forums

Chances Of Acceptance

I'm entering my 3rd year and will be applying to the 2016 admissions cycle but am getting super worried I won't get in. Any advice on what my chances are?

Born and raised in Thunder Bay, went to high school in TBay as well

Lakehead Honours Chemistry degree

3.85 GPA so far

Not a ton of volunteer experience, but have been involved in a fairly demanding volunteer role with the basketball team for 2 years now. (Will likely continue it for 1 more year)

Various smaller volunteer activities (ie soup kitchen, helping out with a basketball organization)

Haven't done research with the school (will likely do it after this year for 1 year) but I have a research paper being published (however it was a research project that was done with a dentist, not a doctor. Not sure if that matters)

Thanks for any advice

You might be getting a little bit ahead of yourself, but your GPA is above the average of this year's and last year's entering class (3.83). You are from Tbay, and it seems like half of the West Campus is from Tbay, so you will have a good context score. The only thing I might try and do is add in some more community oriented ECs that are long term starting this year.

Every application submitted is subjected to a huge amount of chance, and what ever the adcom is looking for that we don't know about. Your chances are probably as good as anybody else applying.

For now though, enjoy your third year, maybe add in some more community activities, and worry about your chances after you click submit in a year.

Good luck and stay positive!

From my experience, it all comes down to the interview. At the interview you meet a bunch of people who all did well in school, volunteer, and most are from some rural/northern place. All have references that say they would make an excellent physician. Some get in, most don't. 

Your stats say you will get an interview. Than it's make or break time. The pre-interview stuff (GPA, MCAT, extra-currics etc...) are just to show you are above average. But if you can't talk to someone and formulate a coherent response on the spot, than you are not going to be a good physician. Independent of "nerves" and what not. I hate that excuse, of being so nervous during an interview because what was riding on it. How do you think that will change the first time you perform a life saving procedure on someone?

Archived