Premed 101 Forums

What To Do With 3.7 Gpa

kwyhan

Hello, 

Feel like I'm in a mid-life crisis (okay, maybe a little bit exagerrating :P).  

Pretty much, I feel like I have no chance at any professional schools. I'm not financially well off which honestly sucks, but I thought this time, I had to be realistic. I'm 23 and I gave up on med this year because of my lackluster MCAT score and truthfully, I don't have the confidence to score higher by January 2015. So disappointed in myself for the GPA's (cGPA: 3.69  best 2 years: 3.79)  Ive gotten during my undergrad years. Unfortunately, this summer I've just regretted a lot of things and been really down (These feelings are difficult to get rid of. It's often easier said than done). 

Canadian med and dental schools IN ONTARIO are pretty much done deals for me, as my undergrad GPA is done and can't be recovered.. Just so disappointing that because of my GPA & being an Ontario resident, I don't have a shot here.

I guess my dilemma is, do I continue to chase for this dream of mine (dent/med) with many failures and prehaps additional schooling before going into these schools or be realistic in that go into master's (Epidemiology) or pharm? I've been looking heavily into pharm and I will do my best if I do go into the program but I don't want to be working in Loblaws and other opportunities in Pharm are rare+ It's 4+ years of schooling (which is similar to med/dent).

I'm probably just going in circles and I know it's stupid to ask people online about what you should do with your life/future, but I've been on this forum for a while and I've received some comforting messages from some of you; People who are going similar things and share each other's stories and supporting each other have been really good to see on this forum. Anyway, I would appreciate any help you could provide me with.

Thanks!

I think you need to focus on getting a higher MCAT score, and maybe a second UG if you are that concerned with your GPA (it can be done in a year online). You're still really young, you're not at all in a position where you're running out of options. Before going for a second UG though, go through the requirements of all the schools you are intersted in and see if your GPA as it is could be considered decent. Many of them calculate it differently. The MCAT might be the only thing you need to do. And you're not the first and will not be the last to have to write the MCAT multiple times over multiple years to obtain a good score.If you're not doing another UG, also work on your ECs while also studying for the MCAT to open as many doors as possible. You can put yourself in a really good position for the next application cycle if you do your research and are strategic about it.

And I second the above recommendation to ensure you do not allow yourself to continue on the road to depression. You have lots of options here, and you can get started working on a plan right away. You've got a big bright side to look on, so try your best to do it. So get out of bed, brush yourself off, and start your research. I'm really good at research and planning, so pm me if you need some help.

Archived