Premed 101 Forums

Gpa Needed

I had 2 gap years and just found some programs for grad schools I really like. if in the long run, my goals were medicine, will grad school be beneficial in this circumstance? I understand when someone's stats are competitive enough, grad school will not really benefit them, but how about someone like me? (cgpa 3.65 best 2 yrs 3.79, 1entrance award only, research exps but no pubs, intern in haiti, sports..etc. quite avg but still good exps for me.) I will need to work my ass off in grad as it will be no piece of cake. but if it will give me benefits (how much is subjective) I will put in the work. Thanks!

I think you would need to rewrite your MCAT regardless, unless you're willing to travel abroad as an IMG. Unfortunately, neither option (with or without grad school) will save you at this point, as a 7VR / 26 MCAT isn't high enough for the US or Canada, (unless perhaps your GPA were very high, maybe some US schools would be interested).

If you bump up your MCAT several points (Somewhere in the ballpark of 11/11/11, +-1 in each section), then a grad degree will help you with applications to Queens and UofT. For both schools, it will allow you to catch their interest with a slightly lower GPA, but UofT puts an exorbitant amount of emphasis on research productivity for grad students (so you'd have to produce a fair bit during your grad studies to offset the GPA). Queens is a bit of a black box, but they've officially stated that if you met the MCAT cutoffs, you could be considered for an interview if your GPA did not meet the cutoff, but you catch their interest as a grad student (whatever that may mean). McMaster may become an option if you have a substantial MCAT score (11 or 12 I'd say, possibly 10 with a completed MSc according to some stats I've seen on here)

It may help with UOttawa as well, but that's a matter of some controversy (at worst, it wouldn't hurt).

Have you considered a second UG degree? Some schools will allow you to use that GPA to apply, and your options would open up a fair bit more.

Archived