Premed 101 Forums

GPA and Credit Weight Question

Guest MacHopeful06

Guest MacHopeful06

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regards to whether or not the OMSAS GPA is rounded off. For example would a GPA of 3.695 be considered as being 3.7 or would it be 3.69? Also I understand that a 3 credit course converts to 0.5 credits on the OMSAS scale but what about a 2 credit course.

Guest ttryit

Hi MH6, here are the answeres to your questions:

1. OMSAS GPA is rounded to 2 decimal places. 3.695 rounds to either 3.69 (if it is 3.695000000000) or 3.70 (if it is 3.695010000).

2. 8 unit, 7 unit, and 6 unit courses are 2.0 OMSAS Course Lengths. 5 unit, 4 unit, 3 unit are 1.0 OMSAS Course Lengths. 2 unit and 1 unit are 0.5 OMSAS Course Lengths. 0 unit are 0 OMSAS Course Lengths. These conversions will make sense when you begin to fill out your application.

tt

Guest iamanurse

Ok - here's another couple of questions regarding GPA and wGPA's.

Is is safe to assume then that a weighted GPA would slightly INCREASE as compared to a regular GPA? (ie: say for example I graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.9 - would weighting it raise it to a 3.95?)

What is the purpose of using weighted GPA's?

Are they implemented simply to assume a higher level of difficulty in succeeding years completed?

And how would my (hypothetical) GPA of 3.9 (or wGPA) differ when calculated by OMSAS?

Just wondering - and thanks for any input.

-RN

Guest ttryit

Yo,

There is no guarantee that wGPA>GPA. Why? Because it depends on the how the weightings work. For example, NOMS has first year count for a weight of 1, second year for a weight of 2, third year a weight of three, etc. Say you got 4.0 in 1st year and 3.0 in second year. GPA=3.5 but wGPA=3.33.

On the other hand, institutions such as U of T have formulas that can only increase your wGPA compared to GPA since they toss your lowest course (I think one from each semester, but it might be one from the whole year).

Hope this helps.

tt

Archived