Premed 101 Forums

Is A Minor Worth Anything?

Mithrandir

So i'm doing a second degree and could get a minor in a subject I am very interested in with 2 extra credits. They're not credits I need because I don't need any electives or anything (all covered by transfer credits), so really it would just be my interest. I am wondering if a minor is worth anything? Does it show on your transcript? Can you use it as a sketch item? Do any of you have minors? 

So i'm doing a second degree and could get a minor in a subject I am very interested in with 2 extra credits. They're not credits I need because I don't need any electives or anything (all covered by transfer credits), so really it would just be my interest. I am wondering if a minor is worth anything? Does it show on your transcript? Can you use it as a sketch item? Do any of you have minors? 

A minor isn't worth anything for your app

Minors generally don't mean much besides symbolizing that you took some courses in a subject area... generally speaking, you can't really even claim that you're 'informed' in a subject area, perhaps simply that you're 'aware' of some issues in it. The adcoms will have access to your transcript as it is, and so they can see your concentration of courses in whatever area.

You could use it as a sketch item, certainly... but simply having it up there isn't going to benefit you much. Has it lead to a greater understanding of something in your life? Has it helped to shape you as the kind of individual that is suited for med school (think CanMEDS)?

I'm not saying it does or doesn't... it is quite literally, all in how you write your ABS.

Archived