Premed 101 Forums

Proof Of Acls?

Hi all,

Reading through program descriptions on CaRMS, some programs state that they require proof of ACLS certification prior to the start of residency "if accepted", but they do not mention ACLS under the Supporting Documentation list.

I assumed that this meant that they didn't want to see my ACLS with the actual application, but that I would have to eventually submit it if I match to their program. However there has been some confusion among my classmates about this, with many people scrambling to find their proof of ACLS for CaRMS. Don't think I ever actually received mine...

Does anyone have personal experience with this?

You definitely do not need to upload proof of ACLS. They want you to have ACLS done prior to residency though. Most medical students do it after 4th year if they haven't done it prior to clerkship. Western organized ACLS for us in the last week of school.

You definitely do not need to upload proof of ACLS. They want you to have ACLS done prior to residency though. Most medical students do it after 4th year if they haven't done it prior to clerkship. Western organized ACLS for us in the last week of school.

That ACLS thing is strange - the school you are accepted into is required to pay for that training and usually they offer it prior to the start or early on in residency. Ottawa for instance offers it in the first couple of months.

You would think it would be HAVE to get done prior but actually a lot of places don't force that - they simply arrange the training ASAP once you are in. Now ideally you would have it before - when the time comes I would check with the incoming school just to see how they handle that, and while it is not that expensive not to pay for something you don't have to.

Anyway bottom line is most people complete it well AFTER carms match is completely done so it is certainly not required prior.

Archived