Premed 101 Forums

Information Regarding Different Radiology Residency Program

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone can guide me as to getting information regarding different radiology programs in Canada (e.g. strengths, weaknesses, focus, etc.).

I know pretty well for all the schools that I have done an elective in, but for the remainder of schools it is difficult to get this information.

I have already looked at the RBC residency guide book, but it is missing alot of the programs. Also, the radiology website for each school is not particularly helpful either.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Full disclosure:  I am one of the chiefs this year.  I really like my program.  In my opinion we are the best program in the country.

Strengths:

- Faculty treat us as colleagues, first name basis.  I strongly considered the "big two" centres in Canada when I was interviewing, however I was really not interested in a more "ego-centric" hierarchical culture and after visiting them I bumped them to the bottom of my list (below urology haha).  Calgary has not disappointed in that respect.  Our staff fund a yearly resident retreat (in banff this year), throw an annual Lobster party for the graduating residents, etc, etc.  You really feel like your staff are your cheerleaders, that they've got your back, and that they like teaching the next generation of the specialty.

- Faculty are humble, though world class (be on the look out for our NEJM publication in February - stroke therapy will never be the same . . .).  We have multiple harvard, stanford, duke, UCSD, etc staff.

- Solid, tight-knit group of residents.

- Although all programs in Canada have a great Royal College pass rate, I understand that ours is one of the highest.  We have many current and former examiners on staff.  For example - The MSK portion of the exam is set by an individual at our center

- Few fellows.  Residents run the show around here, you learn to make confident calls independently, you learn to do procedures you might not get the opportunity to elsewhere.

- Large catchment area - FMC is the only level one trauma centre for all southern alberta, and parts of southeast BC.

- Modified duty hours.  Us residents have led the implementation of a night float system with support from our staff.  No 24 hr call, and shifts are divided and covered such that volume is not an issue.

- Fellowships:  Current PGY-5s: Beth Israel (Harvard) Abdo/Intervention, Stanford Chest, MGH (Harvard) Chest, UCLA interventional, and a Canadian IR program, Current PGY-4s (my year):  MGH (Harvard) abdo imaging/intervention, Beth Israel (Harvard) Abdo/Intervention, and a Canadian IR centre.

- Jobs - we get em.

- Calgary:  I can be on a mountain with skis on my feet just under an hour from my door.

Weaknesses:

- Culture here is very imaging dependent - some might view this as a positive and I imagine its similar in other centres.  When on call - its usually me who's effectively deciding btw admit/discharge for roughly 25% of all puts coming through ER, etc

- We are treated and are expected to function like consultant radiologists on call (with graduated responsibility), including actually reporting studies - which, to my surprise, apparently isn't the case at all centres.  Some might view this as a negative, I don't. I was surprised to learn from fellows from Toronto and McMaster that they don't actually report the cases they do on call and they don't review studies out in the morning.  Although less work is nice I suppose, I don't understand where the educational value in that call system is. By early PGY-3 I was issuing full reports on call, with minimal changes made based on individual staff preferences in the morning.  Again - I list this as a weakness because some people might not like it - but personally I don't see the educational value in doing call if you aren't functioning as a consultant rad.

- ?smaller program?  We aren't actually that small of a program, but I suppose if an individual was interested in being part of a very large cohort UBC or Toronto might be better.

- Can't think of anything else, but weaknesses I find are largely based on personal preferences

Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to know.  I'm happy to be frank about positives and negatives.  I have no vested interest in providing you biased information - I'll be gone by the time you might be around anyhow!

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived