Premed 101 Forums

Carms Down

jO-M

Hi all,

Looks like CaRMS has been down for several hours, including access to the program descriptions....

Anyone have any info on wtf is going on?

Also, If anyone happened to save a copy of the personal letter prompts for either emerg or anesthesia, instead of going off the web like me, I (and my friends) would be amazingly grateful if you could post them....

So not impressed right now....

Yeah terrible timing for it to go down.  At least they're pushing back the deadline a bit though.

And lucky for you, I actually made notes for anesthesia program requirements (and am nice enough to share with the competition :))

Memorial [4] (interviews Feb 5-6):
- birth cert
- photo
- LOR x3-5 (until Dec 31)
- CV
- PL - interest in program, exposure to/familiarity with anesthesia. Max 700 words
- undergrad transcript
- med school transcript
- med school diploma

Dal [6] (interviews?? Will inform by Dec 31):
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3
- PL - interests, background, why I want anesthesia at Dal, why I am well-suited for the specialty, ultimate career aspirations. make note of failures, LOA, etc.
- birth cert/CV/photo optional

McGill [5] (interviews Feb 3-5):

- birth cert
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3-5 (at least by anesthesiologist)
- PL - highlight important acheivements, EC activities that define me, strengths, weaknesses, personal goals during residency, suitability to McGill program. Max 500 words.
- CV optional

Ottawa [8] (interviews Jan 27-30):
- birth cert
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3
- PL - acheivements, ECs, personal goals during residency, why Ottawa, who I am as a person. Max 700 words.
- photo
- CV

Queen's [4] (interviews Jan 27-30):
- birth cert
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- PL - acheivements, ECs, personal goals during residency, career aspirations, who I am as a person. Max 700 words.
- LOR x3-4 (at least 1 anesthesiologist)

NOSM [2] (interviews Jan 31 - Feb 1 at Sudbury):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3 (at least 1 anesthesiologist)
- PL - what has led me to pursue anesthesiology. personal qualities that make me a good candidate. how do I learn best, how does the NOSM program fit with this. opportunities and barriers at NOSM. additional info about me. Max 2 pages.
- CV

Toronto [12] (interviews Jan 29-30):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3-5
- PL - what contributions would I make to the department/specialty. one important aspect of anesthesia and why it's important to me. Max 500 words.
- CV

McMaster [6] (interviews Jan 29-30):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- PL - why anesthesia. experience in practice of anesthesia. why McMaster. how I've exhibited CanMEDS qualities (http://rcpsc.medical.org/canmeds/about_e.php). info about myself (accomplishments and ECs).
- CV

Western [6] (interviews Jan 26 only):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- PL - why anesthesia, why I'm suited for it, why Western. Max 650 words.
- CV

Manitoba [4+1] (interviews Jan 23-24):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3-5 (at least 1 anesthesiologist)
- PL - why anesthesia. goals, experiences, and interests. Max 2 pages.
- CV

Sask [6] (interviews Jan 17 +/- 18):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3
- PL - personal assessment. career aspirations, details about ECs and interests
- CV

Alberta [5] (interviews ??):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- PL - why anesthesia. Max 800 words.
- CV

Calgary [5] (interviews Jan 20):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- PL - biggest challenge during anesthesia residency. definition of professionalism and 1-2 examples of how this will manifest during residency. a time I failed at something and learned from it. 3 reasons why Calgary and at U of C. explain unsatisfactory performances during med school. "succinct".
- CV

UBC [10] (interviews Jan 19):
- birth cert
- photo
- med school transcript
- MSPR
- LOR x3-4 (at least 1 anesthesiologist)
- PL - describe 3 attributes/characteristics of myself and how these are relevant to anesthesiology, and example from personal experience that demonstrates this attribute. why anesthesia at UBC. Max 1 page.
- CV

In 2013 CaRMS went down on match day, to the point that some people who had matched were initially told that they hadn't (!). 

yeah I was apart of that day of course - seriously one of the most stressful experiences in my life. It really ruined the day. Imagine spending two hours after the point where you entire future is supposed to be decided on trying to get assess to your results unsuccessfully. It is even a multi step process to get your results so you can get pretty close before it craps out on you. Repeat endlessly. In the end is was gradually released so the planned initial party was very much messed up.

I spent hours trying to get my results and hours comforting classmates that thought they were unmatched, only to find out some did in fact match 3 hours post. That sprung a new round of false hope for the people that truly were unmatched as they were hoping it was indeed wrong for them as well. That resulted in another round of shock, pain and disappointment. The entire experience literally gave me a migraine.

What annoyed me the most as a programmer is that there was no surprises for the people running carms - they knew exactly how many people were signed up, exactly how many were going to log in and when etc. It was a totally predictable problem to solve. Thus it could have been actually tested quite easily. They failed to do basically they only job they had to do that day - successfully release the match results on time and promptly on match day. For which they were paid quite a sum of money I might add.

Still makes me annoyed :)

Archived