Premed 101 Forums

Vacant Residency Spots In Canada: Where Are They Published?

Knightmd

Where do Canadian programs post their vacant PGY2-5 spots? So if a resident decides to quit his surgery program, where would I find out about it? I'm a prelim (i.e. PGY1) Canadian resident in the US and am fully eligible for advanced spots in Canada, but I have no idea where they would be posted. Thanks.

These are not like postable positions that you just apply to. It isn't openly published. Only way you'd hear about "vacant" spots is word of mouth of somebody dropping out/switching or talking to program directors.

Advanced positions do not exist here. You'd have to go through Carms as an R1.

• 2 weeks later...

So I should basically contact every single program in the country for advanced positions?

Basically yes, remember there aren't that many programs in Canada compared to the U.S. Contact each program directly. There are no non-categorical matches in Canada. Switching for second year is rare between Canadian programs. Everyone I know who has done it made special arrangements by contacting programs directly and personally.

I have never heard of anyone transferring from the U.S. The RCPSC/CFPC might recognize the U.S. intern year; I really don't know. The U.S training may also make you ineligible for the first round of CaRMS. Good luck!

Archived