Premed 101 Forums

Finding Pt Volunteer Positions While Working Full-Time?

Hi all!

I'm trying to get some volunteer hours so I can apply to U of A's PT program in 2016. But, I work full-time, Monday to Friday, and all the volunteer opportunities in Calgary that I've found so far are only available on weekdays while I am working. My job has a very rigid schedule, so the company isn't going to be flexible in letting me go part-time to get in some volunteering.

Does anyone have experiences finding PT volunteer positions while holding down a full-time job? I'm certainly willing to do some legwork and physically knock on some doors of clinics that open on Saturdays to see if they'd take a volunteer on, because at this point, I seem to be low on options. Generally speaking, do PT clinics take on volunteers, but simply don't advertise that they do?

Any suggestions/insights/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I volunteered while working part time and in school full time. I managed to find a clinic that was open Thursday evenings and volunteered 5-8. I would suggest finding a clinic that has hours that work for you, then go to that clinic with a resume telling them you're interested in volunteering. I wouldn't suggest saying that you need 30 hours and that's why your volunteering, but maybe mention that you want to see what the profession is about and would like to gain some experience in the field.

Thanks for the reply. I feel better knowing that it can be done!

I volunteered while working part time and in school full time. I managed to find a clinic that was open Thursday evenings and volunteered 5-8. I would suggest finding a clinic that has hours that work for you, then go to that clinic with a resume telling them you're interested in volunteering. I wouldn't suggest saying that you need 30 hours and that's why your volunteering, but maybe mention that you want to see what the profession is about and would like to gain some experience in the field.

Archived