Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Assessment/calculation Question!

There is no special formula for the MCAT from what I can tell. The "points" that I received for my MCAT score last year were calculated by taking the score, dividing it by 45 and then multiplying by whatever it's worth to them (last year it was 15% and this year it's 13%).

They do not disclose how many "points" you get for GPA though, so their special formula is just speculation as I mentioned.

As for ECs, I have no idea but scores have traditionally been low. My score was decent last year, but I'm an older applicant so have had more time to do things. For example, I have 10+ years of full time work-experience that the majority of applicants will not have for obvious reasons.

Even though ECs are worth more percentage wise, I still think that having a high GPA is what gets you in (assuming that the interview goes well), especially if the formula is true (I would be much happier if it was simply (x/4.0)*27 :-) )

There is no special formula for the MCAT from what I can tell. The "points" that I received for my MCAT score last year were calculated by taking the score, dividing it by 45 and then multiplying by whatever it's worth to them (last year it was 15% and this year it's 13%).

They do not disclose how many "points" you get for GPA though, so their special formula is just speculation as I mentioned.

As for ECs, I have no idea but scores have traditionally been low. My score was decent last year, but I'm an older applicant so have had more time to do things. For example, I have 10+ years of full time work-experience that the majority of applicants will not have for obvious reasons.

Even though ECs are worth more percentage wise, I still think that having a high GPA is what gets you in (assuming that the interview goes well), especially if the formula is true (I would be much happier if it was simply (x/4.0)*27 :-) )

Thanks Friendly Magpie, based on your experience and analysis,

Pre-interview score without ECs = 27% GPA + 13% MCAT = (GPA-3.3)/0.7*27 + MCAT/45*13

A. GPA 3.95 and MCAT 34 Score = (3.95-3.3)/0.7*27 + 34/45*13 = 25.07 + 9.82 = 34.89

B. GPA 3.85 and MCAT 37 score = 21.21 + 10.69 = 31.90

C. GPA 3.75 and MCAT 40 score = 17.36 + 11.56 = 28.92

Which put high GPA at much better chance for interview invitation, high MCAT is useless without high GPA.

I hope Alberta only simply converted both GPA and MCAT, like

Pre-interview score without ECs = GPA/4.0*27 + MCAT/45*13

A. GPA 3.95 and MCAT 34 score = 3.95/4.0*27 + 34/45*13 = 26.66 + 9.82 = 36.48

B. GPA 3.85 and MCAT 37 score = 25.99 + 10.69 = 36.68

C. GPA 3.75 and MCAT 40 score = 25.31 + 11.56 = 36.87

This way will level the field, don't you think so?

Archived