Premed 101 Forums

U Of A Gpa Conversion

Can anyone tell me how Alberta PT calculates your GPA? I completed undergraduate at Western University. Do they take the Western University GPA and use that for the application or do they calculate it based on their tables. I found this on another forum: "We will calculate your UWO percentage GPA and then convert that final number into the U of A 4.0 scale ie: 83% at UWO converts to a 3.8 at U of A.". If this is the case my GPA could be either much better or much worse than I previously thought. 

Any input helps, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you went to school in Ontario, your GPA will likely be higher for U of A than ORPAS. ORPAS calculates A's as 3.9 and A+ as 4.0. U of A calculates both A's and A+'s as 4.0.

As far as the last 60 credits, I know for OT, they do the same thing as ORPAS. If they have to extract grades from a semester, they take your GPA from that entire year instead of the semester alone. I would assume PT is the same, but I could be wrong.

This is from the U of A website:

We determine your GPA using your most recent 60 credits (20 courses). If we need to go back more than 2 years in your program to get 20 courses, we will go back a term (semester) and use the GPA of that term. Courses taken in Spring/Summer terms, exchange programs and graduate programs are counted in the GPA.

I really hope that they are not like ORPAS and take the average of the entire year.

This is from the U of A website:

We determine your GPA using your most recent 60 credits (20 courses). If we need to go back more than 2 years in your program to get 20 courses, we will go back a term (semester) and use the GPA of that term. Courses taken in Spring/Summer terms, exchange programs and graduate programs are counted in the GPA.

I really hope that they are not like ORPAS and take the average of the entire year.

I called UofA today, and I was told that if you need to go into a new term, going back chronologically they will take the grades per term until you have satisfied the 20 courses you need. If there is need to extract only one mark from a semester, the average of THAT semester ( Fall or Winter Separately) will be used to complete the final credit(s). My average increased quite a bit for my UofA average compared to ORPAS thanks to this step:) 

So Brody, as you have mentioned, you are correct. 

Hope that helps! 

I called UofA today, and I was told that if you need to go into a new term, going back chronologically they will take the grades per term until you have satisfied the 20 courses you need. If there is need to extract only one mark from a semester, the average of THAT semester ( Fall or Winter Separately) will be used to complete the final credit(s). My average increased quite a bit for my UofA average compared to ORPAS thanks to this step:) 

Hope that helps! 

I am so happy that you posted this, you have actually made my day!

Hope that helps! 

How did you calculate the rest of your marks? Those under A and A+? My schools use percentage grades. Also, my last 2 years plus summer courses make up 12 credits, and the other 8 would come from a whole year worth of work (10 credits). Would those 10 credits all be averaged? Thanks!

How did you calculate the rest of your marks? Those under A and A+? My schools use percentage grades. Also, my last 2 years plus summer courses make up 12 credits, and the other 8 would come from a whole year worth of work (10 credits). Would those 10 credits all be averaged? Thanks!

Depends on how many classes you have per semester. If you have 5 per semester, one semester's marks will be used individually. The earlier semester of the year will have 3 potential 'grades' come from it (5 in the more recent semester, 3 from the distant semester). However what they will do is convert the 5 grades for the Fall term, average those 5 grades, and use three of them because they cannot pick and choose what classes to use. For example, if you had a 3.7, 3.7, 3.3, 4.0, 3.0, add them together and divide by five = 3.54. Therefore 3.54 will be used three times to finish off the last three courses, as UofA goes per semester, not per year. 

Depends on how many classes you have per semester. If you have 5 per semester, one semester's marks will be used individually. The earlier semester of the year will have 3 potential 'grades' come from it (5 in the more recent semester, 3 from the distant semester). However what they will do is convert the 5 grades for the Fall term, average those 5 grades, and use three of them because they cannot pick and choose what classes to use. For example, if you had a 3.7, 3.7, 3.3, 4.0, 3.0, add them together and divide by five = 3.54. Therefore 3.54 will be used three times to finish off the last three courses, as UofA goes per semester, not per year. 

You answered my question perfectly, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed when ORPAS was calculating my courses and had to go back another year they took my Fall courses instead of my Winter courses. Going back chronologically shouldn't they have taken my winter courses first? Maybe I read it wrong but I find this so confusing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived