• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regrets

Date Stamp: 01/28/2015 - 11:00 AM EST

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.922

Current year: 1st year of MSc.

ECs: 2+ years of clinical research (3 studies as an RA), volunteer at children's hospital, NSERC, Poster Day awards, undergrad TA, executive member on 2 clubs, run a bicycle repair centre for a marginalized community (in conjunction with a soup kitchen), previously a Sous Chef, video production involvement.

Congratulations and good luck to all those who will be interviewing!!!

INVITE  :D  :D  :D  :D 

Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 10:01 AM

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.97

Current Year: 3rd year undergrad

ECs: Lots of research (2 x Nserc), varsity sports team, elementary school science fair mentor, suicide/crisis worker etc...look at previous posts for more detail!

I am so thrilled, I can't wait to meet you guys and visit the beautiful city of Ottawa!!!  :D  :D

Rejection :(
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015
wGPA: 3.935 on 4.0 OMSAS Scale
Current year: 4th year
ECs: Alot of good ECs, I was hopeful :(, many for long term, I'm not sure if references plays a big part, I felt bad asking for references I was going to ask the better ones this yearI regret that decision. Involved in research, lots of volunteer work across a wide variety including hospital and other organizations, if you need more info please pm.

Goodluck everyone! This is so hard :(!

Rejection

Date Stamp: 28/01/2015

Location, OOO, IP

wGPA: 3.84

Current year: Finished Masters recently. Working in a lab.

ECs: hospital volunteering, physiotherapy clinic volunteering, research lab volunteer, peer mentor, 3 pubs, 7 abstracts, TA for anatomy and physiology, worked throughout my undergrad, served on multiple departmental committees during my masters, marathon runner, a couple research awards

nvite/Rejection
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 7:46 AM PST
wGPA: 3.85
Current year:UG Complete
ECs: President of undergraduate honours society, vice president of undergraduate psychology honours society, research experience (paid and unpaid), team leader with Canadian Blood Service, coaching and sports, tutoring undergraduate students (paid and unpaid), and planning many events related to mental health and disease awareness. 

I'm disappointed. My application said my GPA wasn't high enough to be considered so that's a bummer. 

Invite
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 9:37 AM EST
wGPA: 3.91
Current year: UG Completed June 2014
ECs: Lots of research - 2 pubs (1 1st author, 1 4th author), another manuscript in preparation. ~12 academic, leadership and community awards. Various long-term volunteer roles, leadership jobs. Board member of community organizations, CFO of a GTA-based non-profit tutoring provider, and planning various events and campaigns for blood donation. 

I'm very grateful for the opportunity - Ottawa is my top choice. 

Invite- Ottawa u
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 -
wGPA: 3.97
Current year:3rd year,
ECs: Over 6 years hospital volunteering experience, 2 years job involved with direct patient care at a hospital, extensive research- publications and abstract presentations including a speech given at the 2014 AMEE conference in Milan, Italy- that included over 1000 hours shadowing residents over 24 hour shifts, tutoring, martial arts instructor, some scholarships among other things. 

Regrets
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 11:00 AM
wGPA: 3.958
Current year: UG complete but "third year applicant" due to ineligible years.

ECs: ~350 hrs volunteer research assistant for clinical studies at  2 different hospitals but no publications, ~300 hrs direct patient care volunteer position in psychiatric hospital, ~4000 work hours during undergrad (hospitality, cust service and a few self-directed business endeavors). Teaching assistant for two classes. ESL and homework tutor for children of recently landed refugees. Artistic hobbies. *No school clubs, no organized sports.*

Aside: 26 y.o. non-trad-ish whose original degree program was taken on a non-degree part-time basis for the first two years. Only amassed 2 years of full time study and still wanted to apply so I enrolled in a 2nd degree program this fall to become eligible for Ottawa. Saddened but hoping that next year I may have a better chance. I'm a bit too out of touch with campus life to get involved with campus societies but I'm thinking of ways I can develop and demonstrate my  leadership abilities. I suppose that's a topic for another thread...

Invite

Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 9:38 AM
wGPA: 3.96-3.97
Current year: UG 3rd year
ECs: Lots of music related stuff, NSERC, poster presentation, tutoring, actor for medical exam, volunteering at two hospitals, academic awards and some other stuff

Invite

Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 10:38 AM

wGPA: Either 3.91 OR 3.95
ECs: Paid and volunteer work with newcomer populations; high school sports at the national level; business competitions at the international; tutoring; university committees; exec & pres on a few clubs; choirs; lab research assistant; clinical research; principal investigator on a funded project; first author pub; awards for research, academics, and community service
Year: 4TH Year UG

Invite
Date Stamp: Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM
wGPA: 3.91
Current year: finished undergrad last year
ECs: volunteered abroad, multiple research jobs, some community+on campus volunteering

P.S. A little late, but for the benefit of those interested in this information in the future, I thought I should share. I know two people this year who got an invite from Ottawa with a 3.86. My own GPA was not that high either. 

And my friend with 3.86 almost didn't apply this year. So hopefully it encourages some of those interested in Ottawa to apply next year (if you can spare the fees). No matter how small, there is a chance. You never know!

Archived