• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rejection
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 11:00 AM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.85/6 
Current year:UG complete
ECs: Pretty good ECs overall, research in different fields, 1st author pub, poster/oral presentations, community involvement, lots of work experience. I don't think my ECs held me back, I am 99.9% certain anyone below a wgpa of 3.9 has almost no shot, regardless of whether you are from Ottawa or not. 

Rejection :(

Date Stamp: 11:31Am
wGPA: 3.98
Current year:UG Complete
ECs: emergency room volunteer (2 years), women's population panel volunteer (2.5 years), 4th year independent research project but no publication or conference presentation, 2 undergraduate scholarships, part-time customer service representative (3.5 years) and acting manager (6 months)

Invite
Date Stamp: 9:38 AM EST
wGPA: 3.99
Current year:UG complete
ECs: Various. Long-term athlete, music, hospital volunteering, president of a club, on the board of a student council, peer tutor, a bunch of employment positions non-healthcare related, various scholarships and distinctions, a little bit of research. PM if you'd like to know more :)

I think one thing that makes a big difference is the commitment to the activities on your sketch. It's my speculation that Ottawa likes to see you involved in various long-term activities. Nearly all of my activities that I listed as part of my top 3 have been in duration for 2+ years.  

Rejection
Date Stamp: 28/01/2015 - 11:02 AM
wGPA: 3.88
Current year: 4th year UG
ECs: Long term (2+ years) student leadership, research, volunteer, etc.

Was not expecting an interview because of my wGPA, which definitely does not make the cut for Ottawa. I applied to the MD/PhD program and was hoping my file at least made it to the PhD review but I don't think it did. Oh well.

Congrats to everyone who got interviews! : )

Invite
Date Stamp: 9:38 AM EST
wGPA: 3.935
Current year:Masters
ECs: Pretty average tbh. 2 years research, no pubs. Intramurals, volunteer peer mentor and hospital, volunteer abroad, employment with a rehab centre, orientation week coordinator and private tutor, and president of a club and leadership conference leader

Invite
wGPA: 3.98
Current year:4th year
ECs: Lots of research (multiple awards, 2 x NSERC USRA, 2nd author pub, 2nd author pub in review, volunteering in labs, honours research, etc.), Leadership role at an NGO, Lots of sports (intramural and competitive from highschool), random small activities, nothing too special, entrance scholarship, cultural scholarship, few other random academic awards

Date Stamp: 11:03AM
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.94
Current year: M. Sc. (1st Year) 
ECs: PM me for a record if you would like (or look at my McGill post via my profile)! Happy to provide my Résumé to anyone interested! 

Best of luck to all who got an interview! For those who didn't, keep on going strong! These things happen! 

Rejection  :( 
Date Stamp: 10:33 am
wGPA: 3.97
Current year: UG complete
ECs: Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity, United Way Student Organizer, Rotary International. EC: University Photography Club founder, Heritage group, intramural basketball. Research: 1 publication with research in Ecology. Awards: Red Cross Rescuer Award, R. Tait Mckenzie Award. Employment: Research Assistant, Pharmacy Clerk

Archived