Premed 101 Forums

Is The Formula For How Much Ottawa Weighs Gpa Versus Ecs Versus Interview Public?

For pre interview, does Ottawa release how important the GPA is versus the ECs? And do most people think that getting a better GPA = better chance of receiving an interview?

Also, for post-interview, does anyone know how much Ottawa weighs the success of the interview versus GPA of the candidate?

To my knowledge, neither of the formulae to which you're referring are publicly known. The consensus here on PM101 seems to be that Ottawa highly values GPA, but the degree to which this is the case is unknown.

Generally schools weigh interview heavily. If you do well on the interview, you usually stand a very good chance of getting in. No new information there, nor anything specific to Ottawa, but useful to keep in mind nonetheless.

Ottawa gives you an interview score on 4 and adds it to your GPA on 4. And the best applicants with scores on 8 make it from what I know

Interesting. And based on the fact that the majority of people offered interviews will fall within a narrow range of GPAs (3.9-4.0), the interview becomes even more important to separate yourself.

Interesting. And based on the fact that the majority of people offered interviews will fall within a narrow range of GPAs (3.9-4.0), the interview becomes even more important to separate yourself.

The interview is absolutely crucial because of the way that they score it.

Somebody with a better interview will always be ranked higher than somebody with a lower interview no matter what their wGPA's are

Edit:

While the post-interview formula might not be publicly known, we have a pretty good idea of how it works, and we have years of empirical data to back it up. I'll rarely say this, but I'm fairly confident that we're spot on

The interview is absolutely crucial because of the way that they score it.

Somebody with a better interview will always be ranked higher than somebody with a lower interview no matter what their wGPA's are

Edit:

While the post-interview formula might not be publicly known, we have a pretty good idea of how it works, and we have years of empirical data to back it up. I'll rarely say this, but I'm fairly confident that we're spot on

They announced that formula at the interview day presentation last year so I think it is technically publicly known even though it isn't exactly advertised. And I guess we won't know with 100% certainty that it is staying the same this year unless they say something again this year.

If true that means they believe in the good enough model for GPA - that people at a certain level of academic ability and beyond are all equally good at the job. Actually that is not an uncommon opinion.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to me. At that level, there's not much point in differentiating people based on GPA.

They announced that formula at the interview day presentation last year so I think it is technically publicly known even though it isn't exactly advertised. And I guess we won't know with 100% certainty that it is staying the same this year unless they say something again this year.

Whoops, I skipped the presentation last year because I had to get on the train so I didn't know that! They definitely didn't publicize it the previous year during the presentation, but it's nice that they're showing some transparency. While it's true that they might change the post-interview scoring this year, I don't see why they would in all honesty. Still, knowing the formula won't really matter in the end I guess. All that matters is killing the interview :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was just at the uOttawa interview info session and they said that the post-interview formula changes from year-to-year. They give your interview a score out of 4 and then make a list of people's GPA and interview scores that they give to the admissions committee who then decide what the weighting will be for that year.

I was just at the uOttawa interview info session and they said that the post-interview formula changes from year-to-year. They give your interview a score out of 4 and then make a list of people's GPA and interview scores that they give to the admissions committee who then decide what the weighting will be for that year.

I've heard that they give out a score out of 4, but I don't get how that helps distinguish applicants. Most people will probably score around 3, and a few will score 2 or 4. 

Changes from year-to-year? I'll call that bluff. For reference, this is identical to what they did last year according to their presentation. It's also identical to what they've done for ~4 years before that (if not longer, but I haven't followed it)

I've heard that they give out a score out of 4, but I don't get how that helps distinguish applicants. Most people will probably score around 3, and a few will score 2 or 4. 

Increments of 0.5

Anybody with a 4 gets in, and then they go to the 3.5 group in order of decreasing wgpa, and so on.

Archived