Premed 101 Forums

Single-Mindedness In Interviews

I'm hoping a few people who scored relatively well on their interviews in previous years can chime in on here.

I think we've all done our fair share of research MMI tip, tricks, strategies, body language, and all that fun stuff, but I"m wondering the extent to which y'all appreciated both sides of the argument.

For example, if given a scenario wherein you had to pick Side A or Side B given their two stances, how would you go about it?

When I interviewed, I tried pretty hard to pick Side A, but be able to appreciate the benefits of Side B, while giving reasons why A remains a better choice than B.

HOWEVER, I did poorly on my overall interview score (40th percentile). NOrmally I would have chalked this up to poor interview skills/communication/being ugly/what-have-you, if it weren't for the fact that I scored in the high 90s for communication skills in R1-R7.

This leads me to believe that giving pros/cons of both sides makes you seem wishy-washy, for lack of a better word. Ain't nobody want a wishy washy candidate.

So now we're at an impasse. Should the interviewee just be strong headed and single minded and only talk up why Side A is great and ignore side B? or go about it in a whole new direction?

Think like a physician.  You are presented with a scenario and at the end of a day you have to make a decision, be confident in that decision and have your reasons for choosing that one over another.  My inclination is to speak more to the side I choose and justify why that is the approach I am taking.  With that said, I think acknowledging side B is important, because as a physician you do have to way out all options, but perhaps spending less time taking about the advantages of the alternative and more time justifying why the option you chose seems like a better choice.

I think numba is right. I haven't done any med school interviews yet but I would assume that they'd want you to make a decision with enough support to back it up. Few people in med and faculty members who have done interviewing before said that it's good to make a decision then use your evidence to support your choice, as well as suggest alternatives. Everyone should have a firm stance (including 'it depends on...') because when you have a difficult choice, will you sit there going back and forth until you convince yourself or will you pick what you think is best and justify it when the time comes? Be open to alternative options by mentioning and explaining them a bit, but always bring it back to why you chose what you chose. 

Archived