Premed 101 Forums

Returning to school for one year anyone?

Guest MACOMERE

Guest MACOMERE

Hello!

I have done an undergrad in the social sciences and I am returning to school this fall in order to do some prerequisites for medical school (and the MCAT).

Anyone out there in a similar situation? I would love to get some help in choosing my courses. It is kinda confusing because different schools have different prerequisites and also I have to think about what courses would help me with the MCAT :eek

Has anyone done this before - returned to school for 1 year then applied to medical school?

If so can you help me in identifying what courses are the best to take? please

Macomere

Guest Blackbird15

Hey Macomere,

hope things are going well with your application. As for course selection, before you do anything, check with the schools you are interested in. Each school has slightly different pre-reqs, and your course selection will depend on where you want to go. For instance, none of the med schools in Ontario require a year of physics (I think), but it's a requirement at McGill. It's also good to take a physics course to prepare for the MCATs. Some of the out-of-province universities have several course requirements (like University of Alberta), but it may not be worth it to take those courses JUST to be able to apply to those schools, as they usually have few spots available for out-of-province students. Anyway, the best place to start is by checking the med school's website.

Good luck!

blackbird

Hey MACOMERE,

Just to clarify and add to the previous postings, the typical requirements are first year science + organic chemistry. So this would be:

1.0 in biology

1.0 in general chemistry

1.0 in organic chemistry

Schools will differ on additional requirements, which may include:

1.0 English (or can often substitute an essay course)

1.0 Physics

Then again, Mac, UWO and U of T all have relatively flexible requirements. Taking at minimum the first three listed above (which I what I did, since I did a social science-ish undergrad) will let you apply to most med schools. I couldn't apply to McGill for the physics (damn physics!) or to the fancy schools in the states due to physics and calculus.

I would follow the advice of another poster and THOROUGHLY check out the requirements for the schools you are interested in.

Good luck!;)

BJ

And by the way, you don't need physics for the MCAT. Or Org for that matter. I didn't have either and still did okay (without a prep course too!).:D

I have a question with regards to Queen's 1.0 Organice chemistry. Does that mean that Queen's wants a full year of Organic Chemistry (Sept. - April)? I'm at UBC and the problem with me is that Organic Chemistry is only offered for 1 semester (Sept-Dec) with a lab.

EMHC

Guest aneliz

Western does not require physics...but they do require 1.0 in a science other than bio or chem....many people use either physics or math for this requirement.

UWO Pre-req's

1.0 Biology with lab

1.0 Organic Chem with lab OR 0.5 Organic with lab + either 0.5 Organic without lab or 0.5 biochem

1.0 Science other than bio or chem

3.0 Arts or Social Sci...including at least 1.0 in essay courses.

Guest JAMIRA

In terms of Western's requirements, does the non-bio/chem science have to be one full year of the same subject, or can I have half a year of calculus and half a year of physics?

~Jam

Guest aneliz

Good question...I don't think that it matters...I had a full year of physics, but I think that as long as you have the 1.0 credit in a non-bio, non-chem science you should be okay. You might want to confirm this with the admissions office.

I will try and find out an answer for you too!

Archived