Premed 101 Forums

I Hate Cars

IMislove

Mhm, just did a practice session of CARS last night, and did not do anywhere near as expected. Up hill battle from here I guess, prob the burn out from working so hard on upping my GPA with this second degree as well. Just need some time to collect my self again :).

Is it much different than verbal? I haven't tackled this section yet.

Not really, which was why I was a little peeved off. I am glad I got the EK 101 VR as well. It's just the little nuances that get me every time.

Hang in there!  :)

I'll be starting my MCAT prep at the beginning of May, so we can all suffer together.  ;)

Thanks Magpie, I'll try, it's exam season so should probably focus on that. Let's do our best :). Aiming for that ~128

CARS pisses me off too and I really suck at it. I actually think its better than the old VR though. You get more time per passage.

Let me know if you are interested in discussing & reviewing passages together :)

Shoot me a PM

I found it helpful for the old VR

Just to contribute..... when I wrote my MCAT in 2013, I did a few VR passages (about 2 or 3) every day for a month to practice. In the beginning, I was doing horribly, averaging about 2/7 per passage, but after a month of practice, I did see significant improvement! I was able to score a 10 on my VR on test day.

Does anybody else think that those who read books for leisure score better on the VR than those who don't? I rarely read, other than for school, and I think it makes me horrible at VR  :P

Just to contribute..... when I wrote my MCAT in 2013, I did a few VR passages (about 2 or 3) every day for a month to practice. In the beginning, I was doing horribly, averaging about 2/7 per passage, but after a month of practice, I did see significant improvement! I was able to score a 10 on my VR on test day.

Does anybody else think that those who read books for leisure score better on the VR than those who don't? I rarely read, other than for school, and I think it makes me horrible at VR  :P

It's entirely possible. I think a lot of verbal reasoning is kind of innate. For example, I started reading on my own by age 4 or 5, reading chapter books by grade 1, and was always at the highest level of reading compared to most of my peers, as well as spelling at a "grade 12 level" in grade 4 or 5 when they'd make us do those diagnostic spelling tests. I've always excelled at reading and writing, and got a 4 (enough for credit, 90th percentile I think) on my AP college board exam for English. I also tend to find studying written word the easiest, for my style of studying I rewrite out all my notes in m own writing. I also have always enjoyed reading for leisure, and even took upper year English classes and Womens and Gender Studies "for fun" as electives in my undergrad because I love reading and writing! The more practice at it, the better you are, but it also helps to just enjoy it.

So, when it came to the GRE and the MCAT I scored 90th+ percentile on the verbal sections with very little practice.  Something like physics or math on the other hand? I often have trouble with (well, not in high school, but that hardly counts :P). But it's nice being innately good at reading comprehension  because it applies to not only the verbal sections but also the other sections as well. As a TA, I've come to realise the key difference between an 80's student and a 90's student isn't often how well they know the material, it's whether they can read the question and respond appropriately and completely - which comes down to being able to understsand what's asked of you in the question... or in other words... reading comprehension! I think that's why people usually see an upper trend in their grades (or part of the reason anyway) - they get better at knowing what's asked from reading a question.

I wish. I read often as a hobby, did a degree that was just reading intensive, work a job that requires me to read and analyze things all day, and yet I *still* struggled with Verbal (making me feel especially stupid :( *cries*)

From my understanding of it CARS is the exact same as verbal but more passages/questions/time and no science sections right? But the 'style' is the same right?

Hey guys, what are you using to study for CARs? I plan to be use the old EK verbal reasoning book for the strategies/tips/guide, and practicing with the old EK 101 verbal passages, hyperlearning verbal workbook, and all the old AAMC VR passages that are not science based - what do you guys think?

Hey guys, what are you using to study for CARs? I plan to be use the old EK verbal reasoning book for the strategies/tips/guide, and practicing with the old EK 101 verbal passages, hyperlearning verbal workbook, and all the old AAMC VR passages that are not science based - what do you guys think?

This is something I'm struggling with right now. There's not nearly enough practice questions or exams for my comfort. Are people just using old MCAT prep questions? What about psych/sociology and the new biochemistry material? I bought the new EK material, but the amount of questions they have will not prepare me for the actual exam.

I am using the new EK CARS book from their new MCAT package at the moment, so far scoring between 4-5 out of 7. I also have the EK101 so definitely going to be practicing with that once exams are done. I find CARS is very similar to old VR, but yeah no natural science. Definitely going to be getting the AAMC 230 Q package eventually, also old mcat verbal. Everything else is in the EK package, but got the TPR psych/soc to make sure I know that stuff well, as well as the 3 tests it comes with xD.

• 4 weeks later...

The EK CARS book I purchased for the 2015 MCAT had some full-length CARS sections for practice and may be useful to get a sense of pacing. The CARS section also reviewed the stats/research methods and mathematics portion of the exam as well.

VR was a timing crunch for me. I think I would want to know my pacing going into the actual exam, but you may get enough sense of timing by writing the full-length practice exams that are available to you.

Comes down to personal preference.

is there anything more useful than EK101 and TPRH VR workbook? Both of these are old stuff with a ton of natural science passages that are irrelevant now. I guess I could just answer the social science passages but would rather do new stuff. I have EK'a 2015 CARS book, but it's not a lot of practice.

Archived