Premed 101 Forums

Another Question About Waitlist Acceptances!

Does anybody know that, for people on the waitlist, they send out rolling invites as people turn down their acceptances to go elsewhere? Or do they send them out on one big batch on June 1st, and then continue to send smaller batches until the class is filled? Any info is appreciated!!

From what I've been told, it seems like they wait a few weeks and send out one batch of invites. Then they try to do it in batches for awhile to maximize campus selection preferences, and after awhile it would probably be one at a time until the class is filled, right up until school starts!

So does Mac send out 203 offers on May 12th? So about 70 people from the waitlist will eventually get in? Is that right or do they try to predict the number of offers and send maybe 250 or 260 on May 12th? 

Mac offers more that 203 spots knowing some people will turn down their offer.

I would think they wouldnt offer way more seats than they have! Imagine how AWFUL it would be if for some reason one year not many reject their offers - and they are left with more people wanting to come than seats! it would be horrible to turn around and tell people....'yeah...about that...sorry....we take your acceptance back!" :P

They do. I'm positive of it. Its not a large amount but they do offer more initially as they know some people will be accepted at multiple schools and decline mac. It reduces waitlist movement a bit but still each year mcmaster has a waitlist that moves. Other schools do this as well (Toronto) and Western does a similar version by offering an undeclared campus.

Its really a game of probability... I don't know (nor do I think anyone does) how many people turn down Mac's offer in recent years, but back in 08/09 there was around 70-80 offers that got passed onto the waitlist. In any case, I think that offering maybe 10% more seats than the quota is usually within reason. It is possible that fewer than 10% of accepted students turn down an offer but HIGHLY improbable, given that many IP ontario students likely applied to many ontario med schools and could choose other ones for various reasons. Hence I would assume that a safe range of around 220-230 offers could have been given each year even if the school can only accept a max of 203 students.

Moreover, I am fairly sure that most medical schools engage in such practices.

• 3 weeks later...

No waitlist information is provided. Safe to assume emails will start after the two week deadline to confirm school choice. Invites could theoretically happen until end of August.

They started before the 2 week deadline last year for sure, maybe the Friday? A quick look through last year's waitlist thread would probably confirm the date.

Wait, so an offer of acceptance can get revoked if not enough people decline their offers?

that has never happened - while in theory there could be more acceptances than spots on paper no school has had to revoke ever from their initial offers. I suspect worst case they would have a larger class as a result and reduce the class size the following year to maintain their funding - but again that simply has never happened.

The schools know what they are doing and of course have access to vastly more information than we have to make sure they do things correctly.

that has never happened - while in theory there could be more acceptances than spots on paper no school has had to revoke ever from their initial offers. I suspect worst case they would have a larger class as a result and reduce the class size the following year to maintain their funding - but again that simply has never happened.

The schools know what they are doing and of course have access to vastly more information than we have to make sure they do things correctly.

Didn't this happen a few years ago to a school, and they had to add an extra 1-2 seats? Ya, they'll never rescind an offer. That's why the waitlist acceptances take all summer because they want to make sure they have the exact number of students they want. 

Didn't this happen a few years ago to a school, and they had to add an extra 1-2 seats? Ya, they'll never rescind an offer. That's why the waitlist acceptances take all summer because they want to make sure they have the exact number of students they want. 

exactly - sometimes due to illness or withdraw they can boost the applicants from a particular year. Not sure if directly it went over the waitlist etc - that would be very strange.

The legend is it happened at a US school and they offered tuition credits for anyone willing to deffer for a year, then just take a larger class in.

ha, well that might be tempting. Save say 50K on tuition would allow you to then say travel the world for year and still come out ahead.

Archived