Premed 101 Forums

Residency Requirements Ubc

Hello, 

I have a situation that I need to clarify, and was hoping someone could help. I have been a BC resident my whole life and am attempting to get into UBC medicine. However, I may be moving to Ontario for about a year and a half for a job. I am assuming my BC residency would be given up if I no longer have a BC medical card at time of application? Or would they consider the fact that I have lived here in BC my whole life?

Thanks in advance. 

Just dont transfer your carecard, and you're good. Do you have to transfer?

Thanks for the response... don't you have to transfer your CareCard due to the fact that you have to change your driver's license? Or is there no link there. I guess I should call MSP. 

Thanks for the response... don't you have to transfer your CareCard due to the fact that you have to change your driver's license? Or is there no link there. I guess I should call MSP. 

I'd call them, but im sure there's ways around it. And look into if you even really "have" to change your DL. 

I lived in Montreal for 4 years and never changed my DL. It was fine. Maintained my IP status for UBC.

and UBC never questioned your residency? did your application indicate that you lived in montreal for five years? because I would want to indicate on my app that I worked in Ontario, rather than make it seem as though I did nothing for a year and a half 

I think if you are going to school in another province or working temporarily then your residency should be fine if you keep your carecard. You should not have to hide your employment in Ontario.

Thanks for all the help! 

I come from BC, but went to undergrad in Ontario. So I know a bit about this - I had the same questions. As long as you keep your BC carecard and don't change over to Ontario's OHIP, then you're good. You can use the BC MSP in Ontario, it's just a bit more of a pain if you have to claim something or the other. But they won't require you to change over, and there's no correlation with the driver's license. I have an Ontario driver's license (which you only have to get if you want to own a car in Ontario), but a BC carecard. It's never been a problem - EXCEPT shopper's drugmart won't give you a walk in flu shot with a non-OHIP health card. But that's about it. Oh and also you can't be an organ donor without OHIP.

Cheers.

Archived