Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Policy

Hello guys, I would like to ask you some questions about mcats that were taken more than twice.

I think my first score on mcat will be terrible. Assuming that my second one will be either average or slightly above the average, will my first score affect my admission?

thanks

hey etude,

I was in the same boat - probably did better than you think - I schedule a rewrite before knowing my first score last summer.  However, your first mcat score will not matter in Canada, if your second one is better.  Some US schools avg, but in Canada it is most recent (usually) or best.  

Also - you will need a score well above average to be competitive in Canada - an average score won't be competitive.

Whats a score that is "well above average?"

I was under the impression that a 30 is good enough for most schools...

Canada doesn't care about MCAT as much as US

No a 30 is not lol.

There is a difference between the average of all test takers and the average of those admitted.

And actually, some schools in Canada do care about the MCAT ALOT more than the US -because some have cut offs or heavily weight it in formulas.

I.e. UWO, Mac(vr), Calgary(min vr oop), Manitoba and sask, etc.

Yeah - 30 is still quite a bit above 25 (average score). But even 25 may be ok, depending where you apply. These numbers would have to be updated for MCAT 2015.

A 25 is the average score of test takers and NOT for those admitted.

A 25 is definitely not okay if you want to be a successful applicant. 30 should be the minimum one should aim for, if you have other strong redeeming qualities in your application. Mid 30s is much more safe as an international.

Here is the official grid from AAMC - but keep in mind as international, the standards are higher.  So for example, there is overall a 40% acceptance rate among high GPA but lower MCAT scores (24-26) - although these wouldn't be highly ranked schools:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf

It moves to about 90% for high GPA + high MCAT.

Had a question that was somewhat related to the topic title, so figured I'd ask in here instead of starting a new thread...

For the 3 year rule that most schools have on MCATs, is that considered from application date or matriculation date? Are there any schools that allow >4 year MCATs? From the quick look I took at a few school websites, it looks like the answer is no...

Asked another way, would an MCAT written in Aug. 2012 be valid for US schools, or would a re-write be required?

Some schools do accept the 2012 MCAT. Which schools you looking at? There's really no generalizable answer for this question.

Ah, you're right. I did some preliminary googling and saw that the first few schools only accepted within 3 years + SDN seemed to think that was standard, so I gave up haha. Going to do a more thorough check now.

Archived