Premed 101 Forums

Orpas Sgpa Confusion

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding how ORPAS calculates sGPA. I have graduated from my undergrad in 2014 and am planning on taking a few courses to upgrade my sGPA to apply for the upcoming 2016 cycle.

It might be confusing to understand...heck, I'm pretty confused myself but here's the situation:

I've taken courses in:

Fall 2013

Winter 2014(last semester of undergrad)

Summer 2014(non-degree, 2 half credits taken)

Fall 2014(no courses taken)

Winter 2015(no courses taken)

Planning on taking:

Summer 2015(2 half credits)

Fall 2015(4 half credits)

When ORPAS calculates my sGPA for the upcoming 2016 cycle, from what I understand they will take the individual converted grades of the 6 courses I will take this summer and this coming fall(since these 6 half credits would be the only ones I have for this most recent grouping/duration), then will they take the average of Fall 2013+Winter 2014(undergrad)+Summer 2014(nondegree) and use the average for the remaining 14 credits? or simply taking the average of the 2 half credits taken in summer 2014(non degree) then use that average for the remaining 14 credits(since I think I've read that 'supplementary' grades will be used first)

Thank you so much for any help and clarification you could give me!

From my understanding, my recent grouping/duration of courses would include: Fall 2015 this year(which I plan on taking 4 half credits as non degree student), Summer 2015( taking 2 half credits as non degree student), Winter 2015(I took no courses), and Fall 2014(I took no courses).

Therefore these 6 credits in my most recent grouping/duration would be counted in my sGPA, then the rest of the 14/20 credits would have to be extracted from the average of the next grouping/duration.

My question is whether this next grouping/duration is Summer 2014(when I took 2 half credits as non degree) or would this next grouping/duration include the full time fall 2013+winter 2014 semester as well. In the ORPAS instructional booklet it says "Where course grades/lengths must be extracted from a full term to make up the 20 course grades/lengths required, the average of the next grouping/duration of ORPAS GPA values will be used. In the situation, where “Full-time”, “Supplementary” and “Semester” durations exist for the same year, the “Supplementary” grades will be used first, then “Semester” and then “Full-time”." Does this mean that only the summer 2014 session where I took 2 half credits as a non degree student will be used and extracted to make up for the remaining 14/20 credits...ie. average for those 2 half credits x(mulitplied by) 14?

Thank you for responding =)! appreciate it.

For mine they took each semester separately. So the only time it was averaged was the last semester that counted, because I'd had 19 courses after that semester. They won't average 14 credits unless you took them all in the same semester, which you didn't. 

Does that make sense?

Hi Bevans, thanks for your reply!

I understand...but because in my most recent year, I didn't take any courses apart from the 6 half credits I am planning on taking this summer and the upcoming fall, therefore because I don't have 20 credits in the most recent year/duration, ORPAS will have to extract the average of the previous grouping/duration, average the course grades, then use the average and multiple by however many course credits they still need out of 20(in my case, 14/20 credits). I just don't know what semester or what combination of semesters they use for extraction of the average.  Because it says that 'supplementary grades' are used before 'full time' grades, it has lead me to thinking whether only my summer 2014 non degree semester will be used as the average for all the remaining 14 credit grades they need to calculate sGPA...

oh gosh..i think im confusing myself more and more.

Doesn't matter if its degree or non-degree

Just list all your courses in chronological order first. If the last credit falls in the middle of Fall/Winter for example...now you would take your average from that Fall/Winter term and x that by the number of courses you need from that term.

Doesn't matter if its degree or non-degree

Just list all your courses in chronological order first. If the last credit falls in the middle of Fall/Winter for example...now you would take your average from that Fall/Winter term and x that by the number of courses you need from that term.

Thank u!! makes perfect sense now

Archived