Premed 101 Forums

I guess I'll also weigh in on this..  I've talked to three occupational therapists (two of them graduated recently, within the past 4 years) and also one rehab assistant. What they've told me is that the jobs for occupational therapy are there, however expect to start off casual/part-time. This is in BC.

Keep in mind that there is a very big difference between demand for services and funding for services. Lack of stable funding contributes to the mainly temporary/part-time jobs out there. I think flexibility and a willingness to move around a bit will be necessary for new grads.

I think the job market for OT is very diverse.  However, just like all jobs, you need to look hard in order to find a specific position/placement that you truly like. 

From what I've encountered these posts are very accurate. I'm not at all worried about getting *A* job when I graduate.. getting the exact job I want? Getting a full time job? Less likely. Though I hear this from PTs and SLPs as well. 

I think the beauty of OT is that every job is a bit different, and if we start off part time in a couple of places, it gives us an amazing opportunity to see what we are the best fit for and work towards that type of a job (ie: psych vs splinting). 

Hey! I'm about to graduate and am currently in the job hunt situation so I figured I could fill you in.  Obviously, it changes in every city as to what is available and what I have seen in the past two months.  Private practice has a TON of opportunities almost everywhere and it's growing more and more because of all the public cuts. Private practice is not often what a new student goes into thinking they would do, but it's definetly worth it! Otherwise, as a new grad in the public sector in major cities, you are mostly looking at temporary (mat leaves) positions to eventually work your way into the system. Outside of the bigger cities, there is always jobs somwhere. The other thing is like you mentioned with OT being so broad, you may not have that one dream job... things change! 2 years ago I saw myself in rehab with TBI and I have uncovered through these two years is that I love mental health!

If youre considering writing the US exam, there are literally hundreds of full-time jobs in border cities.  Ive talked to 2 recruiters and they like Canadians, depends if that is what you would want to do.  I have seen many full time jobs around the country on the job boards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OT is definitely needed. As is not having to wait 6 months for a surgery. The problem is the health care system in the country as a whole. As far as I see in hospitals, pretty much every specialty area has an in house OT covering the unit, some part-time only , some full-time. (PS OTs also work in a lot of settings outside hospitals). Lots of OTs nowadays are very young from what I see, so I don't know in terms of new jobs becoming available (definitely not by retirement where I work). Lots of OTs are female, so many temporary maternity leaves in hospitals. Consider what you really need and want out of a career and then make the decision as to where to work or what field to go into. Once you get into the health care system, you realize it is not as it seems from the outside. I would suggest shadowing lots of OTs in different settings (meet up with them for coffee, network, reach out) find out how people ended up in their jobs and how they see the field.

Archived