Premed 101 Forums

Research Experience Without Any Publishing

Etude

Hello guys, I am about to participate in a research at a cardiac department of general hospital. I am expecting my work not to be published, but gladly doing this for my letter and resume (The chance of getting published seems to be quite slim, and I felt that it is better off if I just give up the hope lol). I am just hoping that there will be some kind of presentation in the end.

Will this participation help my prospective admission? I know it is much better than nothing, but it would be great to know whether research participation without any publication will greatly differ from the one with. 

if you are in ontario, the OMSAS app says that it only wants entries listed under research if you have published something, if i recall correctly. 

so i am not sure how much it will help your app for ontario but for other canadian schools it will obviously look great

Reality check in the publication process: most people with research participation (not including grad school or people for whom research is a profession) will not be published. Publishing is a long process, so for most, unless you've been working on the project for a year or more, chances are you will not be published. The only exceptions I know of is if the supervisor's trying to help you out (say, you're a grad student who need some pubs) and he/she is already mostly done with a paper. Then you may work only for a few months on it and get published.

People who got published are either extremely lucky (joining the project at the right time, have extremely generous profs) or have put years of work in to it.

if you are in ontario, the OMSAS app says that it only wants entries listed under research if you have published something, if i recall correctly. 

Fairly sure this is false, but not 100% sure.

OP: Do the research, try to build a rapport with the PI, learn as much as you can. You never know whether you'll get a publication out of it or not, but it still looks good and is valuable either way. You could also try to present your research at an undergrad conference, which you can definitely add to a CV/application. Developing a good relationship with the PI will also help you when it comes to reference letters and awards (maybe try for an USRA).

I think most ppl applying haven't published so it's quite alright. You can definitely try to get some posters or publish in student journals at your school, which might be slightly better than nothing. However, not publishing as an undergrad. is nothing to sweat about. 

Getting a publication isn't as simple as it seems. Especially as an RA. And even if you do get published, there's a possibility that there will be other authors writing the paper with you. Considering that fact, it's likely that your name will be further down the list than the other authors, hence making your contribution to the paper less and less significant than those of your co-authors.  

But I hope you enjoy your experience! It sounds amazing. 

I recall there was some ambiguity regarding what OMSAS and the schools want under 'research', but even without a publication I'm confident that the RA position merits an entry in the abs somewhere. In other words, this research sounds worthwhile and a great experience as well.

so i am not sure how much it will help your app for ontario but for other canadian schools it will obviously look great

This is completely false. You just can't put an entry for a publication-in-progress. Any articles that you want to add as entry must be accepted by the submission deadline. Otherwise you can put anything in the research category; job/poster presentation/conference/etc.

Archived