Premed 101 Forums

Want Suggestions On Schools For American Md

t0ny

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to know if you all could give me some light on schools to apply to for American MD. Here's my stats breakdown:

BSc. Biochemistry (graduated)

Year 1: 3.23

Year 2: 3.36

Year 3: 3.57

Year 4: 3.58

Summer: 3.85

Year 5 (1 semester): 3.77

BSc. Kinesiology (on-going)

Year 1: 3.96

cGPA ~ 3.57-3.6

MCAT (Sep. 2013): 31 (12/9/10)

MCAT (Sep. 2014): 33 (13/8/12)

ECs: Pharmacy Lab Technician for 5 years, Tutoring ADHD students of all ages for 4+ years, A few internships abroad at hospitals for 1+ months, Pancreatic Cancer research, Schizophrenia Research, Some Neurology research no pubs. Other than that just the normal volunteering at old folks homes, some intramural sports, etc.

I wanted to know if/what schools I should apply to as MD schools. Any Help on schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

• 2 weeks later...

I'm by no means an expert, but from what I've researched and seen posted on this forum, these are the schools I'm applying to along with my stats:

cGPA 3.93

sGPA 3.99

MCAT: 33 (10V/11P/12B)

ECs (very brief version): Several different university mentoring services, tutoring, playing in a band for years, hospice volunteering, couple USRAs and shadowing an anaesthesiologist for 1 semester

In no particular order:

1) Einstein

2) Case Western

3) Duke

4) Dartmouth

5) Georgetown

6) Medical College of Wisconsin

7) Northwestern

8) Rosalind Franklin

9) Jefferson

10) Chicago (Pritzker)

11) Kentucky

12) Wake Forest

13) Wayne State

If anyone has any comments on my list I'd appreciate it as well, I'm on the verge of submitting my primary.

I'm by no means an expert, but from what I've researched and seen posted on this forum, these are the schools I'm applying to along with my stats:

cGPA 3.93

sGPA 3.99

MCAT: 33 (10V/11P/12B)

ECs (very brief version): Several different university mentoring services, tutoring, playing in a band for years, hospice volunteering, couple USRAs and shadowing an anaesthesiologist for 1 semester

In no particular order:

1) Einstein

2) Case Western

3) Duke

4) Dartmouth

5) Georgetown

6) Medical College of Wisconsin

7) Northwestern

8) Rosalind Franklin

9) Jefferson

10) Chicago (Pritzker)

11) Kentucky

12) Wake Forest

13) Wayne State

If anyone has any comments on my list I'd appreciate it as well, I'm on the verge of submitting my primary.

Take out Wake Forest and Wisconsin, I don't think they take Canadians. Northwestern, Duke and Chicago are reaches for you because of your MCAT score. Add Saint Louis, Boston, George Washington, New York Medical College, Virginia Commonwealth, NYU, Penn State and Oakland.

Take out Wake Forest and Wisconsin, I don't think they take Canadians. Northwestern, Duke and Chicago are reaches for you because of your MCAT score. Add Saint Louis, Boston, George Washington, New York Medical College, Virginia Commonwealth, NYU, Penn State and Oakland.

I have similar stats to @NotASerialKiller (albeit slightly lower GPA). I'm applying to most of those schools, but I was wondering if you knew anything about Brown Alpert? I noticed it's not on either of your lists. Do they accept Canadians?

I have similar stats to @NotASerialKiller (albeit slightly lower GPA). I'm applying to most of those schools, but I was wondering if you knew anything about Brown Alpert? I noticed it's not on either of your lists. Do they accept Canadians?

I think they say they take them but historically only 1 or sometimes no Canadians matriculate. I wouldn't bother

I think they say they take them but historically only 1 or sometimes no Canadians matriculate. I wouldn't bother

Ahhh I see, thank you!

I also have a few too many reach schools. :( Can you help me eliminate one or two of these schools? My application is research and leadership-heavy and clinical volunteering-sparse. I chose a few of these because I've read elsewhere that they give scholarships to Canadians, which would be a huge bonus.

Case Western Reserve University, Mount Sinai (Icahn), Cornell University (Weill), Yale University, Vanderbilt University

Ahhh I see, thank you!

I also have a few too many reach schools. :( Can you help me eliminate one or two of these schools? My application is research and leadership-heavy and clinical volunteering-sparse. I chose a few of these because I've read elsewhere that they give scholarships to Canadians, which would be a huge bonus.

Case Western Reserve University, Mount Sinai (Icahn), Cornell University (Weill), Yale University, Vanderbilt University

Out of those 5, I think Yale and Vanderbilt would be the hardest to get into. CWRU and Mt. Sinai are pretty research heavy and will like that part of your application. Personally, I would just take the path of least resistance and wait for the secondaries and pick the easiest ones. Pretty sure Mt. Sinai's doesn't have an essay but I could be wrong. You may as well apply to Albert Einstein too as it's comparable and they're research-heavy.

You guys might wanna check out this guy's post as he has similar stats and got like 6 interviews last cycle:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/16708-acceptedrejectedwaitlisted-for-current-applicants/?p=953051

Out of those 5, I think Yale and Vanderbilt would be the hardest to get into. CWRU and Mt. Sinai are pretty research heavy and will like that part of your application. Personally, I would just take the path of least resistance and wait for the secondaries and pick the easiest ones. Pretty sure Mt. Sinai's doesn't have an essay but I could be wrong. You may as well apply to Albert Einstein too as it's comparable and they're research-heavy.

You guys might wanna check out this guy's post as he has similar stats and got like 6 interviews last cycle:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/16708-acceptedrejectedwaitlisted-for-current-applicants/?p=953051

Thanks so much fruity_smell! :) Here is my current list of schools for 3.88 cGPA and 33 MCAT. Feedback would be much appreciated. I didn't include some Canadian-friendly schools like Wayne State or Michigan State simply because the tuition costs are too high. 55k/year is pretty much my upper limit. :(

George Washington University

Rosalind Franklin University

Virginia Commonwealth University

Pennsylvania State University

New York Medical College

SUNY Upstate

Thomas Jefferson University

Dartmouth College (Geisel)

Georgetown University

Stony Brook University

Boston University

Yeshiva University (Albert Einstein)

Mayo Medical School

Case Western Reserve University

Mount Sinai (Icahn)

New York University

Stanford University

Thanks so much fruity_smell! :) Here is my current list of schools for 3.88 cGPA and 33 MCAT. Feedback would be much appreciated. I didn't include some Canadian-friendly schools like Wayne State or Michigan State simply because the tuition costs are too high. 55k/year is pretty much my upper limit. :(

George Washington University

Rosalind Franklin University

Virginia Commonwealth University

Pennsylvania State University

New York Medical College

SUNY Upstate

Thomas Jefferson University

Dartmouth College (Geisel)

Georgetown University

Stony Brook University

Boston University

Yeshiva University (Albert Einstein)

Mayo Medical School

Case Western Reserve University

Mount Sinai (Icahn)

New York University

Stanford University

Looks good! Get your application in ASAP because timing greatly affects your success in the States. Yeah tuition at Wayne is ludicrous. I feel like they know that some Canadians are willing to pay that much and they take a lot of Canadians. I'd take off Stony Brook because I don't think they take Canadians. Mayo is also incredibly competitive, as they have a very small class size of 50 or so. Stanford's also a huge reach for you to be honest. Add Kentucky and Saint Louis University as both take a lot of Canadians. 

Thank you! I only included Mayo because they don't have any secondaries! My friend, who is a Canadian, got an acceptance to Stony Brook this year, which is what's inspiring me to apply. Kentucky's tuition is also extremely high but I will be adding SLU - thanks for the suggestion!

I will be submitting my primary tonight or tomorrow. I know it's not the greatest, but do you think it is early enough that I will stand a fair shot?

Thank you! I only included Mayo because they don't have any secondaries! My friend, who is a Canadian, got an acceptance to Stony Brook this year, which is what's inspiring me to apply. Kentucky's tuition is also extremely high but I will be adding SLU - thanks for the suggestion!

I will be submitting my primary tonight or tomorrow. I know it's not the greatest, but do you think it is early enough that I will stand a fair shot?

You're not early, but you're not too late either. Get it in as soon as you can.

submit it as soon as you can, some schools send out their supplementaries before your primary is verified by AMCAS (which takes about 7-10 days after you submit it), so meanwhile you can fill out your supplementaries. Some schools only started sending the supplementaries yesterday, so if you submit your primary today, you are not late! Also make sure your recommendation letters are in as soon as possible, because schools will not consider your secondary unless you have the letters in. Good luck!

Archived