Premed 101 Forums

Getting Ip Status

Hi Guys!

Now that I have graduated university and did not receive any interviews, I was considering moving to BC to get the IP status. From my last application, I didn't get an interview as an OOP, but my total score did exceed the IP threshold. 

As an Ontario with a lower MCAT verbal reasoning, I don't really see myself getting into any school here so I'm now considering moving to BC for the next cycle.

I was wondering if you think MD Adcom looks at this as simply 'gaming the system' when it comes to post-interview file reviews? Or if they simply brush over it over and just check that you have a valid BC Care Card or not?

Since all my NAQ activities are in Ontario (there all my life), I could see them questioning how I am a BC resident. 

Has anyone had experience with this or could provide some words of advice? (I can see this post being inflammatory to some people, and I do apologize. I wouldn't be taking such drastic measures if I could break the 10 VR/CARS barrier).

And I understand that it may be a bit late for this cycle, but for next cycle I would be planning this.

I wouldn't worry about how the adcoms will judge this post interview... I really don't think they would care as long as you have your BC services card. I'm sure that a lot of people do this. If UBC had issues with people moving to BC to gain IP status, then I think they'd make their IP requirements more stringent.

I don't have any experience with this, but I don't think you need to be worried.

Hi Guys!

Now that I have graduated university and did not receive any interviews, I was considering moving to BC to get the IP status. From my last application, I didn't get an interview as an OOP, but my total score did exceed the IP threshold. 

As an Ontario with a lower MCAT verbal reasoning, I don't really see myself getting into any school here so I'm now considering moving to BC for the next cycle.

I was wondering if you think MD Adcom looks at this as simply 'gaming the system' when it comes to post-interview file reviews? Or if they simply brush over it over and just check that you have a valid BC Care Card or not?

Since all my NAQ activities are in Ontario (there all my life), I could see them questioning how I am a BC resident. 

Has anyone had experience with this or could provide some words of advice? (I can see this post being inflammatory to some people, and I do apologize. I wouldn't be taking such drastic measures if I could break the 10 VR/CARS barrier).

And I understand that it may be a bit late for this cycle, but for next cycle I would be planning this.

You are definitely late for this cycle and I'm not even sure if you can make it for next cycle. Someone posted on pm101 earlier that obtaining a care card is not simple and there are possible delays in the process. (Maybe do a little more research on it?) I would look into Alberta also since there are two schools there. 

You are definitely late for this cycle and I'm not even sure if you can make it for next cycle. Someone posted on pm101 earlier that obtaining a care card is not simple and there are possible delays in the process. (Maybe do a little more research on it?) I would look into Alberta also since there are two schools there. 

Even for next cycle, really? I understand it could take some time, but over 1 year to get the BC Services Card? I would think it would take maybe half a year or so, but over 1 year?

Although I've looked into Alberta, I'm not soo keen on taking the new MCAT. And from my trips down to Vancouver, I love the city and weather + I'm not digging Albertan winters :P

I understand I should be so picky and take what I should get, but realistically there are similar amount of medical school seats in BC and Alberta, and Vancouver is...Vancouver  :)

It takes six months to get a services card. In fact, once you move to a different province you MUST switch to that province's health care, you cannot have health coverage in two provinces simultaneously. Not Sure what sort of troubles people have experienced in the past but that's a bit odd. You have to change your drivers license within six weeks of moving to a new province and health

Care within six months

Seems like its a lot easier to gain IP in BC as opposed to Alberta........ 

UofA requires you to have been residing in Alberta for 1 year immediately before the first day of classes as opposed to having the Carecard before the application due date for UBC (Since you have to submit it during your application). Which means it is only 1 year to gain residency for UofA while for UBC its at least 6 month before the deadline (sept-oct) so it is more like a year and a half to gain residency for UBC. Not to mention for UofA you dont need to get their healthcard (although it literally takes 15 minutes to do so) and just need to live there and not worry bout anything. Oh and in case you don't make it this year, you have Calgary to try again the year after as IP for the cycle after, having IP status for 2 schools ..

Archived