Premed 101 Forums

Where To Find Information On Fm+1 Options In Canada?

sunrise

The CFPC will award certificates of added competence in Care of the Elderly, Palliative Care, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesia, and Sports Medicine. You can do other enhanced skills though. Look at any school's family medicine postgraduate site for a complete list for that school. Not all schools offer all programs. However, there's the option of doing a 3rd year designed to your learning objectives, so you can really do a +1 in anything. Toronto is a good school to look at first, since they offer most of the current enhanced skills options. Just google '[med school name] family medicine enhanced skills' and the lists will come up.

The CFPC will award certificates of added competence in Care of the Elderly, Palliative Care, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesia, and Sports Medicine. You can do other enhanced skills though. Look at any school's family medicine postgraduate site for a complete list for that school. Not all schools offer all programs. However, there's the option of doing a 3rd year designed to your learning objectives, so you can really do a +1 in anything. Toronto is a good school to look at first, since they offer most of the current enhanced skills options. Just google '[med school name] family medicine enhanced skills' and the lists will come up.

Is there a difference between the billing codes between the procedures you do with a +1 (i.e. in emerg or anesthesia) when compared to the same procedures in the 5 year program?

Is there a difference between the billing codes between the procedures you do with a +1 (i.e. in emerg or anesthesia) when compared to the same procedures in the 5 year program?

For ER the only difference is that FRCPCs can bill H055 instead of H065 ("Consult in ER" - ie somebody comes in with a note from their regular physician).  H055 pays about 25 bucks more than H065 last time I checked. 

All Ontario-centric.  Dunno about the rest of Canada.

For ER the only difference is that FRCPCs can bill H055 instead of H065 ("Consult in ER" - ie somebody comes in with a note from their regular physician).  H055 pays about 25 bucks more than H065 last time I checked. 

All Ontario-centric.  Dunno about the rest of Canada.

yeah I assumed as much, someone told me emerg is just like family med but at  faster pace

Have you worked in the emerg?

70% of patients are: I have this weird pain in X, or I've been feeling unwell for 3 hours. Lot's of "nothing we can do for you but control symptoms and wait it out" and "follow-up with your family doc." Obviously you have the occasional trauma and severe presentations, but most of the day is spent being a family doc with access to faster testing and more equipment. Family doctors can even work in many emerg departments without additional training.

Have you worked in the emerg?

70% of patients are: I have this weird pain in X, or I've been feeling unwell for 3 hours. Lot's of "nothing we can do for you but control symptoms and wait it out" and "follow-up with your family doc." Obviously you have the occasional trauma and severe presentations, but most of the day is spent being a family doc with access to faster testing and more equipment. Family doctors can even work in many emerg departments without additional training.

Maybe it depends on the type of emerg department you work in, a trauma centre will definitely see more of the 'exciting' cases like stabbings/gunshots/MVCs... but otherwise, what kanakari said was pretty accurate. I've never seen an emerg doc spend more than 10min with a patient

While you won't see major trauma and stabbings at your family doctor's office, it's stupid to assume that the majority of ED isn't plain family medicine. The vast majority of stuff that comes through ED is actually basic family medicine that just doesn't have a family doctor, "can't wait till the morning" or can't get into see their family doctor. More importantly, these same cases are more frustrating and annoying in ED becaus they aren't your patients and you don't know them. All of a sudden that patient with 17 allergies, 3 chief complaints and a yes answer to your entire ROS just ruined your day.

Conversely, in your GPs office you often seem NSTEMIs, VTEs, CHFs and other shit that really should have gone to ED instead ;)

Archived