Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

If we did not get accepted, would they tell us if it were due to the reference letters?

I am just wondering because I will be reapplying for next year and I don't know whether or not I should keep the same references. If I passed then I don't want to risk changing, since I don't think the people I chose had anything bad to say.

References will very rarely be the cause of non-acceptance. I think the only way that would happen is if they had put down a reason for why you wouldn't be a good candidate for the faculty.

Just wondering, did you set up an appointment with the Admissions office to discuss why you were not accepted? If not, it's difficult to determine (ranking in the MMI possibly).

I wouldn't worry about your references. How did your stats compare to the averages for those accepted? How did you feel the MMI went?

I actually wrote a reply, but somehow it didn't get posted. They have a confidentiality policy regarding the content of the reference letter. My understanding is that rejection should only occur if you were deemed to be unprofessional by your reference. I have heard that people are typically notified if they are red flagged due to professionalism.

So it was probably not your reference letter.

Ok, thanks I guess I will keep my same references then.

And yes I did ask for a meeting but they never replied to my e-mIL :(. I didn't push it though because I know my MMI was my downfall. I didn't feel good about it. And my MCAT was 11 and my AGPA was around 4.13 (plus I'm rural).

To anybody who went to the meeting, did they give any actual feedback other than letting you know why you were not accepted (ie. MCAT to low or AGPA to low). Just wondering whether or not I should of sent them another e-mail asking for a meeting. I am fairly positive it was my MMI with my stats.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I had a quick question. The Medicine Application Guide states:

Please do not submit letters with your application, but provide the names and contact information for your three references. The Admissions Office will contact your references if deemed necessary. Fill out your three reference names, emails, and phone numbers.

So I'm not actually arranging for letters to be sent to the school by my referees, right? It's like Saskatchewan and they contact the references themselves, without any further action required on my part? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'd just rather be sure.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I had a quick question. The Medicine Application Guide states:

Please do not submit letters with your application, but provide the names and contact information for your three references. The Admissions Office will contact your references if deemed necessary. Fill out your three reference names, emails, and phone numbers.

So I'm not actually arranging for letters to be sent to the school by my referees, right? It's like Saskatchewan and they contact the references themselves, without any further action required on my part? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'd just rather be sure.

No, don't have letters sent.  Later on in the cycle they may send out emails to the references you provided for further instruction.  I think it was a list of questions that they wanted to referee to answer. 

Archived