Premed 101 Forums

Context Score For A Non-Rural Applicant

Very sorry to be repeating what I am sure has been asked many times. I've tried reading NOSM's site and of course various threads here in the PM101 community. But I thought to lay my question(s) out and hear the subjective thoughts of many of you. Thanks for reading/providing thoughts!

So, context is really important for NOSM, of course. I grew up in a city (so, no points there), have worked and studied in cities. 

I grew up in a small town in Europe though. Does that count at all? I played with baby goats as a kid. 

I was born in a town (now a city, thanks to exponential population growths, yay!!) in Asia. Does that count?

I worked in villages/rural areas of Asia one summer. 

I have a strong interest in Aboriginal issues. 

That's kind of me in a nutshell (as it pertains to the northern/rural context of the school). Please dont be harsh!! But your thoughts/realism/advice would be very helpful. Thank you :)

Very sorry to be repeating what I am sure has been asked many times. I've tried reading NOSM's site and of course various threads here in the PM101 community. But I thought to lay my question(s) out and hear the subjective thoughts of many of you. Thanks for reading/providing thoughts!

So, context is really important for NOSM, of course. I grew up in a city (so, no points there), have worked and studied in cities. 

I grew up in a small town in Europe though. Does that count at all? I played with baby goats as a kid. 

I was born in a town (now a city, thanks to exponential population growths, yay!!) in Asia. Does that count?

I worked in villages/rural areas of Asia one summer. 

I have a strong interest in Aboriginal issues. 

That's kind of me in a nutshell (as it pertains to the northern/rural context of the school). Please dont be harsh!! But your thoughts/realism/advice would be very helpful. Thank you :)

As someone who did not grow up in Northern Ontario, but is starting his 8th year of Northern residency, I will guess that it would be very difficult for you to get into NOSM.  I have been ranked waitlisted (in the top 140 candidates) for three consecutive years, have a fairly strong application, and still haven't gotten in despite what I strongly feel (though no objective proof) are good interviews each year.

If you truly are interested in rural medicine, and practicing in northern, rural, and/or remote areas, then NOSM is the school for you, but I would say you have to be open to spending the next 5+ years of your life moving up here and proving it before you would be strongly considered. 

Good luck on your journey!

RR

Archived