Premed 101 Forums

How Important Are Reference Letters For U Ottawa?

they have almost no relevance at ottawa

That is not true! I have been in contact with the UofOttawa Admissions team and although they do not explicitly state in the OMSAS manual, they require three letters as part of the application (2 from sciences and from from non-science). The reference letters are considered with the ABS and are certainly relevant in making interview decisions. 

That is not true! I have been in contact with the UofOttawa Admissions team and although they do not explicitly state in the OMSAS manual, they require three letters as part of the application (2 from sciences and from from non-science). The reference letters are considered with the ABS and are certainly relevant in making interview decisions. 

I hope you don't mean 2 letters need to be from a science based activity because: a) not even mentioned on their site from what I can tell, and some applicants are basing their application and experience off of relevant personal activities rather than academic. Anyways, lets all agree to disagree that we do not exactly know how they do it because we are not the admissions committee, who are essentially the only ones who know and they are bound to secrecy ;). Good luck to everyone!!

I hope you don't mean 2 letters need to be from a science based activity because: a) not even mentioned on their site from what I can tell, and some applicants are basing their application and experience off of relevant personal activities rather than academic. Anyways, lets all agree to disagree that we do not exactly know how they do it because we are not the admissions committee, who are essentially the only ones who know and they are bound to secrecy ;). Good luck to everyone!!

I share the same opinion as you. Med School Admission is a black box especially at Uof Ottawa who share very little in terms of scoring criteria pre/post interview. In this case, it is best to "assume" that all components of the application are important and therefore cannot be neglected. I spoke with Diane from the Admissions office today and she told me that 2 academic letters (not necessarily science letters - that was my mistake) and 1 non-academic are required.

I share the same opinion as you. Med School Admission is a black box especially at Uof Ottawa who share very little in terms of scoring criteria pre/post interview. In this case, it is best to "assume" that all components of the application are important and therefore cannot be neglected. I spoke with Diane from the Admissions office today and she told me that 2 academic letters (not necessarily science letters - that was my mistake) and 1 non-academic are required.

Whaaat? Does it say on OMSAS or on the U Ottawa site that they require 2 academic and 1 non-academic reference?

It is not listed on their website, or on the OMSAS booklet. The booklet suggests for AT LEAST one non-academic reference, not specific to ottawa, but definitely not a maximum. Something like that would most definitely be mentioned in the booklet you would think, as something small like that could disqualify quite a bit of people. Might be mixing up the application to MD/PhD where on top of the 3 letters, you need 2 letters to attest to your potential as a graduate student. Definitely contact ad com.

I dont think you guys need to stress too much about references. Last year I had an employer, a volunteer coordinator, and my research supervisor (so none were academic) and I got an interview....

So I dont know if these reference letter rules are new or if they have always had them except they don't strictly enforce them

• 4 months later...

Archived