Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Ortho Residency Reviews

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think many of us frequent this forum. Your best guess will be rotating/shadowing in as many programs as you can and asking directly the residents. Most of us made up our own mind during the carms tour where you have social events before every single interview.

I can say that I love my program so far (Manitoba).

+ : Great group of residents, they are all super friendly. The staff are also really nice and really care about your learning. Academic day each Wednesday to ensure we have proper amount of teaching, in addition to tuesday morning peds rounds, tuesday afternoon trauma rounds and friday morning spine rounds. We have 3 physician assistants, who help a lot reduce the workload during weekday, and cast technicians on call 24/7 to help us put the cast on after we do a reduction at 3 AM. The hospital also has a huge catchment area, which makes for a great diversity of trauma cases and exposure to different pathologies. Finally, there is early exposure to OR, and only 4 months of off-service rotations in first year.

- : The city of Winnipeg has yet to grow on me. The calls can be really busy compared to what I've heard from my friends in other programs.

All in all, love my experience so far.

See you all at the carms tour!

Thanks for the reply!  I've heard that Manitoba, as well as some of the Ontario programs (UWO) have pretty rough call schedules, but am glad to hear that you're enjoying your experience overall.   

Any input from Alberta, BC or Ottawa Residents?  Also, are Ortho interview invites typically limited to places that you rotate?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply!  I've heard that Manitoba, as well as some of the Ontario programs (UWO) have pretty rough call schedules, but am glad to hear that you're enjoying your experience overall.   

Any input from Alberta, BC or Ottawa Residents?  Also, are Ortho interview invites typically limited to places that you rotate?

I'm fairly certain no matter what program you go to your lifestyle is going to be terrible.

Try to do as many electives in as many cities as you can.  This will give you a good idea what the 'feel' of each program is.  You'll also be able to judge, for yourself, how happy you think the residents are.  Keep in mind, happy is a relative term ;)

I could give you MY views but it is best for you to judge for yourself.  What appealed to me may be different that what appeals to you.

You'll get interviews from some programs you didn't rotate to.  Hell, you may NOT get an interview from a place you rotated at.

Good luck.

Archived