Premed 101 Forums

Getting A Spot In Fm

CanuckMoose

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian studying in a US DO school. Before I decided to do this I practiced family medicine and emergency medicine in Ontario as a physician assistant. I'll be applying for residency soon enough and see that CARMs has changed their policy such that graduates of US DO schools, unlike graduates of US MD schools, will be considered foreign and so have to take all the additional/different exams and are only allowed to apply in the second iteration of CARMs. I'm hoping given that I am an experienced Ontarian PA with good references from Ontario physicians that I worked with that I have an okay shot at getting a FM residency in Ontario but when I look at the stats on the CARMs website it looks bad. My former supervising physicians in both Emerg and FM all want me to apply here and want to write me letters and are hopeful I will get a spot but I am not sure. 

So I am wondering if anyone here is involved with selecting residents and may shed some light on whether or not I have a decent enough chance that I should apply or if I should just plan on doing a US residency. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian studying in a US DO school. Before I decided to do this I practiced family medicine and emergency medicine in Ontario as a physician assistant. I'll be applying for residency soon enough and see that CARMs has changed their policy such that graduates of US DO schools, unlike graduates of US MD schools, will be considered foreign and so have to take all the additional/different exams and are only allowed to apply in the second iteration of CARMs. I'm hoping given that I am an experienced Ontarian PA with good references from Ontario physicians that I worked with that I have an okay shot at getting a FM residency in Ontario but when I look at the stats on the CARMs website it looks bad. My former supervising physicians in both Emerg and FM all want me to apply here and want to write me letters and are hopeful I will get a spot but I am not sure. 

So I am wondering if anyone here is involved with selecting residents and may shed some light on whether or not I have a decent enough chance that I should apply or if I should just plan on doing a US residency. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Why wouldn't you apply? You probably have much better odds than most other applicants - since you practiced as a PA and have connections.

Take the MCCEE and whatever else you need and apply to CaRMS, BUT STILL MAKE SURE TO APPLY TO NRMP.

Get Ontario elective rotations too. 

Hi all,

well....if I were you I would apply. You do sound like you have an excellent shot.

• 4 months later...

I have a follow-up question. If I apply to CARMs (1st iteration in B.C. and 2nd iteration in Ontario) and I apply to the NRMP/ERAS first round, will one kick me out of the other if I match there first? How does that work? Like is there even any point in applying 2nd iteration CARMS Ontario because the American match will happen first?

The Canadian match is first, and if you match in CaRMS you'll automatically be withdrawn from NRMP - so if you want to come back to Canada this works in your favour. I'd double check the dates during your application year, but I don't remember a year where the US match was first and I've been following it for quite a while. 

Get some electives in BC, but know that FM in BC is pretty competitive, so in a way being classified as CMG in BC may actually not be in your favour as a DO...but definitely still worth a shot, but get some BC elective. Then focus on Ontario and your connections there. 

Also, remember, the IMG stream is parrellel in the first iteration. So, you should be applying to BC in first iteration as a CMG, AND Ontario as a IMG in first iteration.   Hopefully you match, if not, then hope for the best in NRMP match in the US. And then if still no luck, 2nd iteration in either CaRMS or NRMP(SOAP).

Get some electives in BC, but know that FM in BC is pretty competitive, so in a way being classified as CMG in BC may actually not be in your favour as a DO...but definitely still worth a shot, but get some BC elective. Then focus on Ontario and your connections there. 

Also, remember, the IMG stream is parrellel in the first iteration. So, you should be applying to BC in first iteration as a CMG, AND Ontario as a IMG in first iteration.   Hopefully you match, if not, then hope for the best in NRMP match in the US. And then if still no luck, 2nd iteration in either CaRMS or NRMP(SOAP).

Thanks. So you are saying  as a US DO grad I am eligible for the first iteration of carms in Ontario? 

Archived