Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Split And Signing Bonus

m_kay

Finishing my FM residency this year and considering my job options post-residency. It seems like most grads locum for 1-2 years before settling down but I'm curious as to what it would take to entice new grads to start their practice right out of residency.

I have just been offered a position with a group practice where all the physicians are given 75% of their billings, and 25% is given to the clinic owner (who is not a physician within the practice) to cover the overhead costs. I have also been offered a $25k signing bonus if I can commit to 3-5yrs . The practice is in a suburban community with a population of roughly 30k. I will have full control over my hours and which days I choose to work. An extended medical/dental health plan is also provided. The above terms are negotiable but I have no idea what numbers to throw out there. I want to optimize my earnings but I do not want to be unreasonable. Any thoughts?

That actually sounds like a really sweet gig, particularly for B.C. You should iron out the other details though and see if it's a fit for you (# of support stuff, EMR, call coverage, etc...).

it does actually......... devil is in the details but that is a nice overhead, flexible situation.....

For BC, 25% sounds pretty standard for the size of the community. Generally, the expected overhead in the middle of a big city (eg Vancouver Downtown) can run from 30-35%. It gets lower the further away and the more rural the community is. In some small communities it can be close to 20%.

Unless you worked in that clinic already in residency or you have close ties to that community, I would be wary about committing to such a long period of time straight off the bat. You only start noticing little annoyances months down the road and your practice interests may change as well.

Archived