Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Invites/regrets 2016

Feb. 9th

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 3.60 cGPA (don't qualify for weighting) 

MCAT: 508 (128 CP/125 CARS/127 BS/128 PS)

ECs: Fairly average I think (all typical stuff, but I really did try to focus on things that I am passionate about). I do have quite a bit of research though (4 abstracts + 1 first author manuscript in prep.), a few exec positions, 7+ years hospital volunteering, quite a bit of tutoring mentorship through various programs. 

Essays: I thought they were pretty good - I received feedback from multiple people and overall I worked fairly hard on them.

Year: 4th year UG (In province)

Given my GPA (and considering how ridiculously amazing all of the applicants are) this was completely expected, oh well :) Good luck to everyone who is interviewing! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time Stamp: Feb. 18th, 2:14 PM EST

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Did a few things I enjoyed for a long time. Not much research/health care/typical premed stuff.

Essays: A little rushed, but tried to provide out of the box answers.

Year: 4th year UG (IP)

Ecstatic!

Congrats! Which date is your interview?

TIME STAMP: 2:28 PM

Interview Date: March 13
Result: INVITE!  :) 
wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: met cutoffs
ECs: some research (NSERC + Summer Studentship + volunteer), tutoring, community outreach, clubs
Essays: I liked last year's questions a lot better & struggled with how to answer each of them this year. Gave each of them my best, most honest answer and, of course, got family members to review. 
Year: 4th year UG
Geography : IP

Sooooooooo grateful. 

Time Stamp: Feb. 18th, 2:28 PM EST
wGPA: 3.92 (Apparently there IS hope for those of use without 4.0's!)
MCAT:35
ECs: Meh, lots of work experience, research jobs, not many 'clubs' per say
Essays: No idea, I was too scared to re-read them after I submitted for fear of finding an error!
Year: 4th year UG (OOP)

This was a total surprise given my GPA, but I couldn't be happier about it :)

TIME STAMP: 18 Feb, 2:18 PM EST
Interview Date: March 12
wGPA: 3.93 (probably around 3.97 with weighting)
MCAT: 518
ECs: Lots of variety, since I've taken several different career paths: UG research (mostly co-op and some post-grad), triathlete, coach, personal trainer, entrepreneur, military, part-time college professor, father of two.
Essays: I felt like this were fairly strong.
Year: Non-trad with Masters, 10 years post-UG.

I'm feeling amazing tonight! Super happy that UoT is the last school I had to hear from and my first interview.

TIME STAMP: 18 Feb, 2:14 PM EST
Result: INVITE!! :D
wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 11/10/13
ECs: Biomedical research in UG/Grad, clinical research, lead on a QI project, publications, conferences, awards, TA, leadership roles in UG/Grad, medically-related volunteering, employment at a hospital, sports and other fun stuff. Filled all of the available ABS slots with things that are meaningful to me.
Essays: I felt like they were fairly strong. I worked really hard on them for 2 months and had them edited by many people from various backgrounds.
Current Year: 2nd Year MSc

Surprised by this! And unbelievably happy to receive this e-mail. Been on a high all day.

TIME STAMP: 18 Feb, 2:19 PM EST

cGPA: 3.99 
MCAT: above cutoffs
ECs: pretty standard, research, clubs, volunteering, etc.
Essays: Spent a lot of time on the questions, but wasn't too sure about them.
Year: 3rd year UG

Very very happy. :)

Time stamp: feb 22 2:28pm

Invite: Yes

IP/OOP: IP
cumulative GPA: 3.78; don't think I'm eligible for weighted GPA

Old MCAT: 10PS/11BS/10VR

New MCAT: 128CPBS/127CARS/130BBFL/126PSBB Total: 511

ECs: Several years of research, 1 publication, 3 manuscripts in prep, lot of undergraduate and graduate involvement in student groups and student gov’t, leader of a large not-for-profit student organization for many years, built schools and community centers in marginalized countries, volunteered in hospitals for years, completed my MSc and working as a research associate

Time stamp: Feb 22 12:38pm

Invite: Yes

IP/OOP: OOP
cumulative GPA: 3.74; not eligible for weighted GPA, as I dropped a course in second year. Otherwise would be ~3.84

Old MCAT: 10PS/11BS/9VR

New MCAT: N/A

Essays: Spent about a month working on them and had my friend review them

ECs: Honours project, Summer research scholarships (1st author pub), Master's degree (2nd author pub and 3 conferences), Provincial scholarships for research, 2 years in Student Council, ~5 years volunteering in science outreach, ~3 years volunteering in hospital, won several community service awards, worked as a lab tech, worked for government, etc.

Year: MSc. completed

Just wanted to put this out here, because I'm someone that's anxiously looked at this thread constantly and NEVER expected to be able to post this! 

TIME STAMP: Feb 26 5:36PM EST
Interview Date: 03 12
Result: Invite!!
wGPA: 3.95
MCAT:  11/11/10 (PS/VR/Bio)

Year: Masters

Time Stamp: 2:23 p.m. March 3, 2016

Interview date: April 10, 2016

Result: Invite to MD 

wGPA: 3.96

ECs: varied, but nothing extraordinary in my opinion

Essays: spent about a month on them; was happy with the end results

Year: 4th year UG.

Geography: IP

I know that I have been anxiously checking this forum for updates, and so wanted to post this for anyone still waiting to hear back! 

Time Stamp: March 1, 2016 - 1pm

Interview date: March 12, 2016

Result: Invite!!

wGPA: 3.98 (not eligible for weighting)

MCAT (old): 12/11/12

ECs: various leadership roles on campus, 2 yrs of research (NSERC), accomplishments in music, sports. I'd say, pretty strong ECs in general.

Year: graduated B.Sc.

Geography: IP

Essays: Wrote them a week before deadline, didn't have time to ask anyone else to read them. Thought they were poor or mediocre at best.

So shocked! I had given up hope on UofT because I thought my essays were weak, plus the March batch had gone out more than a week ago. Very very happy about this one :)

Time Stamp: March 3rd, 2:23 PM EST
wGPA: 3.95
MCAT: Above cutoffs
ECs: pretty standard I suppose: a lot of clinical work experience with patient interaction (6+ years); some hospital volunteering; long term competitive soccer player and volunteer coach; only a summer of research experience; a few club positions; I also have performed in musicals and have played quidditch for the last 3 years - I think this may have helped my application considering these may be unique ABS items and helped my application "stand out"
Essays: Probably the strongest part of my application. I sort of wrote them last minute-ish, but poured my heart and soul into them and made sure to hit all of U of T's clusters as best I could. I was very happy with how they turned out.
Year: 4th year UG (IP)

After 4 straight rejections this cycle (uOttawa, Mac, Queens, and Western), getting the invite today was absolutely surprising and amazing! I can't wait to meet people on interview day and tour the school! Good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear back from U of T. The waiting sucks but there's good reason to stay hopeful :) 

Time Stamp: March 3rd 2:23 PM EST

wGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 12PS/12BS/9VR
ECs: Teaching assistantships, lots of healthcare related volunteer experience, developed and implemented volunteer program for 2+ years to support psychiatric out-patients, long-term shadowing clinical psychiatrist, volunteered in a pharmacy, past employment in research, service work abroad, team and individual sports etc. 
Essays: Spent a lot of time, had others give feedback, and did extensive editing.
Year: MSc (1yr Course Based Biochemistry MSc) 

I don't ever post to these forums but I've been watching extensively this year and thought I would contribute! This is my 3rd year applying to medical school. Last year I had two interviews (Toronto and Western) and was waitlisted at both. This year I'm interviewing at Western, Toronto, and MacMaster. Just goes to show that perseverance is key and you can all do anything you put your mind to! Good luck to all the potential 2020s! 

Time Stamp: March 3rd 2:23 PM EST

wGPA: 3.86

MCAT: 12PS/12BS/9VR

ECs: Teaching assistantships, lots of healthcare related volunteer experience, developed and implemented volunteer program for 2+ years to support psychiatric out-patients, long-term shadowing clinical psychiatrist, volunteered in a pharmacy, past employment in research, service work abroad, team and individual sports etc. 

Essays: Spent a lot of time, had others give feedback, and did extensive editing.

Year: MSc (1yr Course Based Biochemistry MSc) 

I don't ever post to these forums but I've been watching extensively this year and thought I would contribute! This is my 3rd year applying to medical school. Last year I had two interviews (Toronto and Western) and was waitlisted at both. This year I'm interviewing at Western, Toronto, and MacMaster. Just goes to show that perseverance is key and you can all do anything you put your mind to! Good luck to all the potential 2020s! 

Is this an april interview date?

Time stamp: 1:03 pm (March 11th 2016)

Regrets

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 522 (130/130/130/132)

ECs: Average, nothing outstanding (couple years of research, music, volunteering,...)

Essays: Below average, did them a couple days before the due date so they definitely felt rushed.

Year: 3rd year undergrad

OOP

Just glad it's over :) Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Archived