Premed 101 Forums

Hi there whoever can help would be a great help.

I'm a fourth year BscKin student at UNB Fredericton but I will be graduating hopefully December of 2016. My main goal/dream job is becoming a sports physiotherapist. Growing up I loved sports,loved playing them and loved watching them. I always felt sorry for when players would get injured because that would either end their career or they would suffer for a very long time. So when I would see these sports physiotherapist helping these athletes I felt that it should be my responsibility to help as well. I just have many questions, with the many forums I've read Physiotherapy is quite difficult to get into in Canada for Canadians but its a little bit easier in Australia hence we become international students and we pay more. So my dilemma are my grades, as of now my CGPA is a 2.55 but I still have one more year left. The thing is at UNB if you fail a class and you re-take it they keep the failed grade on the transcript with the recently passed one so that plays with your GPA quite significantly and I think its quite stupid because you've already paid for the course. I know that my my GPA isn't as high as it should be but I'm trying to get it up to at least a 2.8 by the time I'm finished with my undergrad. I also have experience volunteering at the rehabilitation department at my local hospital with a 128 hours under my belt so maybe that can compensate for my GPA. I have been looking at a couple schools like Dal, Manitoba, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Alberta, UBC, Melbourne, Queensland and Sydney. If I can't get into Physiotherapy School yet, my plan B is to get my Physical Therapist Assistant Diploma as well as on the side get my CSEP (Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology) certificates as personal trainer and exercise physiologist and work a little bit in that field of health then apply again to do my masters in Physical Therapy, but I feel that would be going backwards. Would it be a good idea to go from PTA to PT if your grades aren't high enough?

Would love to here from whoever can help 

Thanks

Hey smedjkou,

From my understanding, it looks like you still have a full year of courses left to put onto your transcript. If you really have a passion for PT, my advice would be to make this full year dedicated towards getting the best marks possible. I know UBC only looks at your last 30 credits or 10 half credits in addition to the prereqs. However, most other Canadian schools look at your last 60 credits. So try and apply this year, and if it doesn't work out, you should either think about doing another year to improve your marks and apply for 2018. Just a heads up, most schools in Canada require a Sub-GPA >3.8 (I don't know what this is equivalent to for international students), but Queens has a slightly lower Sub-GPA and more heavily weighted on your letter of intent and experience.

Having said that, having a back up plan never hurts, but if PT is something you have a passion for, you should just focus on that and do the best of your abilities. Good luck and hope this helps.

Archived