Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Waiting Game

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen people saying only 40 people got accepted today. Is there any truth to this claim?

53 new members got added to the 2016-2017 manitoba med school year facebook group. (since noon today)

So, at least that many received acceptances.  

Edit: a few may be upper years, so, might be closer to the mid 40's.  Mind you it's only based on ppl added to that facebook group

53 new members got added to the 2016-2017 manitoba med school year facebook group. (since noon today)

So, at least that many received acceptances.  

Edit: a few may be upper years, so, might be closer to the mid 40's.  Mind you it's only based on ppl added to that facebook group

What is the exact name of the page?

The manitoba medicine class of 2020 group has only gotten 17 more members since yesterday and they all seem to be people who got accepted today (facebook stalker...I know)

Hopefully they only add accepted students for a bit so we get a clearer image of how many people truly got in!

The manitoba medicine class of 2020 group has only gotten 17 more members since yesterday and they all seem to be people who got accepted today (facebook stalker...I know)

Hopefully they only add accepted students for a bit so we get a clearer image of how many people truly got in!

Yea the 3 admins on that page are our class president and two of our reps, so they will only be accepting 'accepted' students.

I have seen people saying only 40 people got accepted today. Is there any truth to this claim?

Interesting! Where did they get this information from? I think there might be some truth to that considering how awfully slow the class of 2020 fb page is increasing in members. 

I'm also curious why they sent so little offers this year (if they did) compared to the past few years. 

Interesting! Where did they get this information from? I think there might be some truth to that considering how awfully slow the class of 2020 fb page is increasing in members. 

I'm also curious why they sent so little offers this year (if they did) compared to the past few years. 

I'm not sure where they got the information from which makes me skeptical about it. I noticed that page also and thought the same thing too! I'm thinking it could potentially have something to do with the new MCAT, though I'm not 100% sure, either way, hopefully there were only 50-60 letters sent out today at most, so that there are still plenty of seats for the June 1 date.

I'm not sure where they got the information from which makes me skeptical about it. I noticed that page also and thought the same thing too! I'm thinking it could potentially have something to do with the new MCAT, though I'm not 100% sure, either way, hopefully there were only 50-60 letters sent out today at most, so that there are still plenty of seats for the June 1 date.

Hopefully you're right! June 1st cannot come fast enough...

I see! Looks like the fb group only has about 20 members so far, I remember last year easily 50+ were added on the first day. I guess that's good news for us! What do you mean it has to do with the new mcat, why would that make them sent less offers this year?

I see! Looks like the fb group only has about 20 members so far, I remember last year easily 50+ were added on the first day. I guess that's good news for us! What do you mean it has to do with the new mcat, why would that make them sent less offers this year?

I remember last years group also had upper year med students so it is hard to compare to last year

I don't think they rank you (ie. the best person scores 12, and the worst person automatically scores 1) since they use a 7 point scale to evaluate you. But you are still somewhat compared to others in your group, but I think they standardize the scores afterwards

I was thinking they might want to make sure that they compare the old and new MCAT properly. Also, I think roughly 50 people got in to the MB pool. There are 41 members in the group right now that are accepted Med1 students (2 are going in Med2 actually and help coordinate the page for us), but some of those could be OOP or got in from the Aboriginal pool like the one individual in the "Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected.." thread so there could be that half the seats are left. I know a couple people that are in but aren't in the group so at worst, maybe 60 people might have got in. 

I was thinking they might want to make sure that they compare the old and new MCAT properly. Also, I think roughly 50 people got in to the MB pool. There are 41 members in the group right now that are accepted Med1 students (2 are going in Med2 actually and help coordinate the page for us), but some of those could be OOP or got in from the Aboriginal pool like the one individual in the "Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected.." thread so there could be that half the seats are left. I know a couple people that are in but aren't in the group so at worst, maybe 60 people might have got in. 

Doesn't really make sense that they would release any letters at all if they were worried about the comparison of the two exams. But it may explain why we all found out slightly later than last year.

Doesn't really make sense that they would release any letters at all if they were worried about the comparison of the two exams. But it may explain why we all found out slightly later than last year.

Well that's also assuming the ones that got in had really good interviews that the slight variations in MCAT scores would be negligible on their chances. These are just speculations as to why so few letters were given out on the first day compared to last year.

Archived