Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Elective Availability

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I would really appreciate your advice.

I have applied for an elective at McGill University and my elective was cancelled due to lack of available spots although I applied the exact day that the application opened.

My 3 choices were: GIM CTU Glen, GIM Consults Glen, GIM Consults MGH.

When I talked to the elective coordinator and asked her how come there were no spots available although I was the first one to apply she told me McGill students have priority over visiting students which I totally understand.

My question is now how do I know when the above electives are available so that I can apply for these dates.

I would really appreciate the advice of current McGill students if they can pitch in about their current schedule and any other advice.

Thank you

Shouldn't this be asked of the elective coordinator. I imagine you need to apply again and hope there is a spot available and there is likely no way to know in advance?

The elective coordinator actually told me to contact the department which I did and unfortunately they also don't know when will a spot be available. 

Since I am don't know how canadian medical schools work, I was hoping for someone from McGill to shed some light on this subject ........ like when do McGill students usually have their GIM rotations.

The thing is with every application there is a non-refundable application fee and since I am on a limited budget I just can't follow a ''hit & miss'' approach.

I think that probably McGill prefers CMG students over IMG medical students? I have friends who applied only a few months in advance and got their GIM elective at JGH....

There are McGill students rotating pretty much year round, maybe except June? Also did you try applying to the JGH? I had two elective students from outside schools on with me when I did my 3rd year core internal rotation..

OP, I think that you should apply for an elective at JGH in GIM, give it a try! 

For the cost, it is a risk for sure....but it is better to have tried and get refused than never tried at all...

OP did not apply to JGH though, my friend doing IM at the glen/MGH/st-Mary's did not have visiting students at all (but may be coincidence, not sure)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived