Premed 101 Forums

Do Medical Schools Require A Full Course Load At University?

gbc105

A lot of the schools have their own requirements, some require a full course load in order to be eligible for weighting.. etc. It is a good idea to look at your schools of interest and see what they require, they usually mention what they need on their websites.

For example, this is for UofT:

If you are applying after completing three years of university and have taken a full course load in all academic years:

A GPA weighting formula may be used for students who have taken a full course load (i.e. five full credits) during the regular academic session, in each year of study. This weighting is designed to encourage students to take demanding courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years. A weighted GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course equivalent grade per full year of study.

As a rule of thumb, you want a full course load during the normal academic year, and yes, there can be disadvantages for not doing this. There are some limited exceptions for some schools, however, you do not know which medical school you will be attending until accepted. Therefore, it is better to be careful than sorry.

If you do not wish a particular course grade to count as part of your GPA b/c you anticipate a low grade, you may take it during the summer.

Generally speaking, medical schools need to know if you are able to thrive academically in having taken a normal full course load while being active in your community. Medical school is much, much harder with voluminous material, as are residency and practice. Excellent grades without a normal full course load say nothing about your ability to excel while taking a normal full course load. And getting into medical school is becoming increasingly competitive.

From my recollection (should always double check websites though) - this is approximate:

UofT - 5 courses/semester for wGPA not for eligibility 

Western+Dalhousie - 5.0 courses/semester for eligibility

Ottawa - same as above BUt can take 1.0 course? in summer

McGill - 12-15 credit hours / (so 4-5 courses)

Queen's - think it is 3

UBC, Alberta, Calgary - think you need at least one year of full 5 courses/semester

McMaster - ?

Do you need to have a full course load each and every semester and year in order to be considered? And would I be disadvantageous if I didn't?

Thanks.

Personally check the websites of each and every school you want to apply to. It is the easiest part of the process.

Believe me, you don't want to risk this based on a possible memory error of another poster.

Personally check the websites of each and every school you want to apply to. It is the easiest part of the process.

Believe me, you don't want to risk this based on a possible memory error of another poster.

I was very clear about this on my post.  It can take a little while to look things up - and remembered, even if not perfect, can give a good idea.

As noted by my stickied post. YES it is imperative to keep a full course load with the natural progression of your program. Not doing so reduces the number of schools you can apply to and thus reducing overall  odd of gaining an interview and acceptance.

The problem is full-time differs at different institutions, as noted.  GPA is generally "king" - not one definition of full time course load.  

I have been taking a full course load but I did spend one semester abroad. While I was there, I had a full course load. Do you think they would view full course load abroad any differently?

You should definitely contact the adcoms at the different institutions to see their policies.

Archived