Premed 101 Forums

Chance For Do? Md Long Shot?

I completed my BSc. with a 3.4 GPA (2.8, 3.2, 3.6, 3.85), and have a 4.0 in my Master's (took 12.0 graduate credits, and 18 undergrad credits). I took a ton of courses on top of my research Master's to try and up my overall GPA. My overall GPA with Master's is 3.5. MCAT is 32 on old (2014) and 506 on new.

I'll be applying with 4 publications, research experience in both my field (integrative biology) and pathology (volunteer), TA, tutor, volunteer with 5 organizations on campus, and 1000's of clinical and shadowing hours in a surgical clinic, plus a few shadowing sessions with a DO.

Do I have much of a chance anywhere? Would really appreciate your advice.

I completed my BSc. with a 3.4 GPA (2.8, 3.2, 3.6, 3.85), and have a 4.0 in my Master's (took 12.0 graduate credits, and 18 undergrad credits). I took a ton of courses on top of my research Master's to try and up my overall GPA. My overall GPA with Master's is 3.5. MCAT is 32 on old (2014) and 506 on new.

I'll be applying with 4 publications, research experience in both my field (integrative biology) and pathology (volunteer), TA, tutor, volunteer with 5 organizations on campus, and 1000's of clinical and shadowing hours in a surgical clinic, plus a few shadowing sessions with a DO.

Do I have much of a chance anywhere? Would really appreciate your advice.

It's too bad your MCAT dropped on the new version, at least on a overall percentile basis, but that shouldn't hurt you for USDO programs. Its still a decent score. Definitely not high enough to warrant a hail mary at USMD schools.

Your sGPA(science GPA) is an important metric for US schools, essentially calculate the gpa of all the science courses attempted. As long as thats not lower than your cGPA, you should be fine too. Your upward trend in your cGPA is a good thing - shows you improved over time.

If you apply early on day 1 and have all your affairs in order(LORS, submit secondary essays right away, and all that), you should be fine to get into a USDO program.

Please look into the finances aspects BEFORE You apply, as getting a US medical education(MD or DO) has become quite expensive(even more so than baseline) due to weak CAD.

From what it seems, your only shot at Canada would definitely require doing another academic year to get a 4.0 to complement the 3.85 in your 4th year(assuming full load), and a MCAT retake to get much higher for UWO cut-offs.

As long as you're okay leaving Canada, then USDO is your next best option. USMD would be more ideal, but your profile doesn't seem anywhere near competitive enough. 

Would MCAT score do you think I should aim for? I did poorly on the last one because their computers were malfunctioning. I lost 20-25 minutes per section because my computer was freezing - I talked to them during the exam breaks and they said we could discuss compensation/a solution after, and when I submitted my test they said nothing could be done to compensate. 

So I have the 3.85 in fourth year and 4.0 this year (4.0 in Master's, but I enrolled online through a school in the US to take a "fifth undergrad year" at the same time as my Master's and have a 4.0 in that as well). 

Would MCAT score do you think I should aim for? I did poorly on the last one because their computers were malfunctioning. I lost 20-25 minutes per section because my computer was freezing - I talked to them during the exam breaks and they said we could discuss compensation/a solution after, and when I submitted my test they said nothing could be done to compensate. 

So I have the 3.85 in fourth year and 4.0 this year (4.0 in Master's, but I enrolled online through a school in the US to take a "fifth undergrad year" at the same time as my Master's and have a 4.0 in that as well). 

Im confused, so you did a full-course load of a makeshift 5th year, ON TOP of your masters through an online US university?

Can you elaborate more? What university in the US...how many classes, etc etc.

IF it somehow works out to be valid, then you would simply need to retake the MCAT and score above cut-offs to get a gauranteed interview at UWO. But that is easier said then done - but given your explanation of the lower 2nd attempt, it may be within reach (i mean, you got a 32 before which would have been extremely close to the UWO cutoffs assuming a balanced score).

Correct. My Master's is a two year research program. The first year is typically not overwhelming (usually just learning how to do research) - I had a good mentor here who got me sorted out and way a head of schedule in my research, so I enrolled at Oregon State University online. I took 21 credits of undergrad courses through them this year, plus 6 undergrad credits at my Master's school, plus two full year graduate courses. So in total I took 33 credits of courses this year, with 27 being undergrad. 

Correct. My Master's is a two year research program. The first year is typically not overwhelming (usually just learning how to do research) - I had a good mentor here who got me sorted out and way a head of schedule in my research, so I enrolled at Oregon State University online. I took 21 credits of undergrad courses through them this year, plus 6 undergrad credits at my Master's school, plus two full year graduate courses. So in total I took 33 credits of courses this year, with 27 being undergrad. 

You have a unique situation then. I would contact UWO directly, to see if that makeshift year will count as a "5th year" or special year.   Assuming of course it meets the minimum cut-off for the best two year calculation in the first place. And that you followed the 3/5 rule. 

IF you didnt follow the UWO guidelines, then I would just move on from that and not bother retaking the MCAT. Unless you would then subsequently be willing to do another "special year"/5th year that WOULD satisfy UWO...and then retake the MCAT to get an interview at UWO....for just a CHANCE at admission. 

Ya I've essentially given up for Canadian Medicine...mostly focusing on the US now. But thank you. :)

In that case, if you retook the MCAT and scored higher...you may have a shot at some USMD programs. Otherwise you can apply as-is this May 2016 for August 2017 start for USDO programs - and stand a strong chance!   

If you have the money and patience, you can throw in a hail mary application to USMD programs this time too...but very unlikely to have much success without an MCAT retake.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if you will see this since you've posted this a few months back, but I thought I'd offer my personal story. I have a similar GPA with a stronger trend, much higher MCAT, and a great PS. I ultimately interviewed at 2 USMDs and was waitlisted. I know many people with similar or better stats than me with worse outcomes, as in less interviews or no interviews. So, I'd suggest that you really consider your plan of action carefully. You already wrote the MCAT twice with mediocre scores (for an international applicant anyway), so you'll literally need 98th percentile or above on your third try for it to even have a positive impact on your application, and even then it may not be enough. You are currently already competitive for DO, but if you specifically want MD, then I would suggest take additional UG classes to get that GPA up to at least 3.5, then rewrite the MCAT and aim for 517+.  I know it sounds like a very unfavorable choice but it really is the best course of action that even make you remotely competitive for USMD. Speaking from personal experience.

id invest all my effort into USDO...do well on steps and you will have your choice of top 5 res programs you want. With restriction on SoN,canadians ill have less/no chance to go outside primary care 4 years from now being a DO your at par (and most program want a token DO in their program) with MDs

join comsa: https://www.facebook.com/groups/COMSA/

to get more information on the applicaiton cycle

unless you want to gamble away another year or 2

Archived