Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Style (Now That Interviews Are Over)

Although now that I think about it, the agreement only mentioned the questions, answers and identity of the interviewers. Does the format count?

It stated the questions, answers, identity of interviewers as well as the whole interview process cannot be discussed. So I'm guessing it includes the format as well unfortunately. I really wonder though if this was a trial run and they change it back to CDA next year. Lets see what happens

Imagine a new secret interview every year!

I think we (on this forum) made a bigger deal of it than it was. It was just a slightly more open interview. If they didn't explicitly say that this was not a CDA interview I may not have realized that it was different. 

I think we (on this forum) made a bigger deal of it than it was. It was just a slightly more open interview. If they didn't explicitly say that this was not a CDA interview I may not have realized that it was different.

I agree. It was not that 'hard', just not what people were expecting

• 1 year later...
On April 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, djdents said:

I've decided to make use of the upcoming break to get a head start on interview prep - given that I'll be in the middle of exams etc when acceptances come out. Given the opinion I quote above regarding last year's interview, I plan on starting to prepare for upcoming interviews assuming at least some CDA content (I don't feel comfortable taking any chances). Anyone have some suggestions as to the array of prep materials out there?

2 hours ago, sunnydayz said:

I've decided to make use of the upcoming break to get a head start on interview prep - given that I'll be in the middle of exams etc when acceptances come out. Given the opinion I quote above regarding last year's interview, I plan on starting to prepare for upcoming interviews assuming at least some CDA content (I don't feel comfortable taking any chances). Anyone have some suggestions as to the array of prep materials out there?

It's good to start off with some CDA prep but from my experience (as well as others in the Schulich class), the interview style is not entirely CDA. Look into some traditional panel interview questions as well to supplement with CDA. Also, I've heard UofT is moving away from CDA to MMI so I guess CDA is being phased out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a U of T interview and hoping for a Western one - so planning on prepping ALL types to be safe (traditional, MMI, and CDA). Too much on the line to not do everything possible. Confidence in feeling prepared I hope will also make a difference at least for me. 

On 2018-01-22 at 2:41 PM, smileon said:

I've got a U of T interview and hoping for a Western one - so planning on prepping ALL types to be safe (traditional, MMI, and CDA). Too much on the line to not do everything possible. Confidence in feeling prepared I hope will also make a difference at least for me. 

This is my last kick at the can (interviewed last year but didn't get in). I'm with you - prepping everything.:Of the list of resources above anyone have any experience on which to base recommendations (I used some but not all in the past)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-12-10 at 2:07 PM, M148 said:

It's good to start off with some CDA prep but from my experience (as well as others in the Schulich class), the interview style is not entirely CDA. Look into some traditional panel interview questions as well to supplement with CDA. Also, I've heard UofT is moving away from CDA to MMI so I guess CDA is being phased out.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that many last year, if not told, didn't even notice a difference in the approach - ie. Western has always had a mix of cda and traditional questions and that it was the luck of the draw as to what proportion you received of each.  

Definitely not a luck of the draw. They make it fair across all applicants.

They also know that CDA interviews tend to cause applicants to come in with memorized/rehearsed answers. Practice with the CDA questions, but also know yourself really well, i.e. reflect on your experiences and know which of your qualities will make you a good dentist. Also, if you get stumped on a question, it's much better to take your time and think of an answer (while showing you're relaxed/having a good time) rather than visibly getting flustered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-18 at 4:10 PM, MadWorld said:

Definitely not a luck of the draw. They make it fair across all applicants.

They also know that CDA interviews tend to cause applicants to come in with memorized/rehearsed answers. Practice with the CDA questions, but also know yourself really well, i.e. reflect on your experiences and know which of your qualities will make you a good dentist. Also, if you get stumped on a question, it's much better to take your time and think of an answer (while showing you're relaxed/having a good time) rather than visibly getting flustered.

I agree MadWorld - but I'd also say that if you use the packages properly for CDA you are in fact then prepping and reflecting on your own experiences in order to do their prep. I also think that the more you do this practice, the less "rehearsed" and the more comfortable and confident you go into it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-03-04 at 11:29 AM, bookworm32 said:

I agree MadWorld - but I'd also say that if you use the packages properly for CDA you are in fact then prepping and reflecting on your own experiences in order to do their prep. I also think that the more you do this practice, the less "rehearsed" and the more comfortable and confident you go into it. 

I'm using this route as well ... am finding that the direction they provide is helping me focus on relevant aspects of my experiences that may be relevant... I've enlisted family and friends to do the "mock interviews"... again to be less rehearsed.

Archived