Premed 101 Forums

Oma Disability Vs Rbc

I'm very confused about all the disability options mainly deciding between OMA and RBC. From my understanding:

1. OMA = Cheaper. Group plan so it could change and be less favourable in the future. As a resident will co-pay with PARO.

2. RBC = slightly more expensive. Contract between you and RBC so it cannot be cancelled or changed. 

What are other people doing?

No specific advice for you.  Just want to comment that it's great that you're thinking about things like disability insurance.

*Every* medical student needs disability insurance.  Once you get into med school you're on a path toward financial security, and you don't want anything to knock you off that path.

I will, no doubt, rant about this again some time.

No specific advice for you.  Just want to comment that it's great that you're thinking about things like disability insurance.

*Every* medical student needs disability insurance.  Once you get into med school you're on a path toward financial security, and you don't want anything to knock you off that path.

I will, no doubt, rant about this again some time.

I rant about it all the time :)

for those policies - you have to ask the right questions. Own occupation (and how is that defined exactly)? Guaranteed renewable? Indexed for inflation? You have to go into the details.

Personally I have about 9K for disability right now tax free with all the right (I hope) bells and whistles. I don't want to be disabled and not be able to do what I trained for over a decade for, but if it happens I will take some comfort in the roughly 110K tax free a year and still be able to work anywhere else I can without loss of benefits. I will up that (as I am allowed to) to 25K a month when I become staff.

Already seen some young doctors knocked out of the game with disabilities. It is not fun.

I have a combination of OMA disability and private company disability. Right now I have more disability than would be paid out of I got injured (companies will only pay out up to your salary level) but I loaded up this year knowing I was healthy and would need a ton once I finished reaidency in June.

For insurance advice, you should talk to a financial/insurance planner. I have one from RBC Wealth Management but MD management also has some.

I have a combination of OMA disability and private company disability. Right now I have more disability than would be paid out of I got injured (companies will only pay out up to your salary level) but I loaded up this year knowing I was healthy and would need a ton once I finished reaidency in June.

For insurance advice, you should talk to a financial/insurance planner. I have one from RBC Wealth Management but MD management also has some.

in some cases you can go above that level although you have to be careful setting it up.

Archived