Premed 101 Forums

Uncommon Tax Deductions And Other Tax Discussion

Apart from your typical deductions (union fees, moving expenses, and canada student loan interest) or credits (tuition and MCCQE mainly)...  what other deductions do you have on your taxes?  Would something like a flight for an elective be tax deductible?

Anyone do their own taxes? How do you deduct your cell phone expenses (after acquiring a t2200)? If that's even legitimate anymore--read some stuff that it may not be allowed.

I do my own taxes - at the moment I don't find it too difficult and I think it's worth the savings.

I looked into deducting cell phone expenses - the CRA says this (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/229/slry/sppls-eng.html):

"Computers, cell phones, and other equipment - You can deduct the part of the airtime expenses for a cell phone that reasonably relates to earning your employment income. However, you cannot deduct amounts you paid to connect or license the cell phone or the cost of fees for Internet service."

When it comes right down to it, the portion of my cell phone bill that goes to airtime minutes for work related calls is completely negligible so I did not claim anything.

Archived