Premed 101 Forums

Devastated After Mccqe Part 1

I did the MCCQE part 1 a few days ago. Walked out of the exam totally devastated. Feeling that I have failed... Made so many mistakes on simple questions (like at least 10...) because of stress and fatigue. And some questions were so ambiguous and some so random... And now I have to wait a month for my results. 

That's unfortunate, but at the same time hopefully you pass. The scoring and curving system is opaque so you never know, you may have scored enough to pass. I felt the same after doing USMLE step 1, but managed to pass anyways.

Also if you fail I heard you can still do your residency and what not. You just have to write it again which is a hassle, and as a resident no one will know or care how you scored on lmcc1. Maybe the only person that'll actually know about it is probably program director and maybe admin people, but your fellow residents, patients won't care or know. As long as you eventually pass both LMCC then you won't have any problems getting your FRCPC etc.

Many people feel that way.  I had no idea if I passed or not and I did very well.  Because it's adaptive testing that gets harder and harder until you are only getting 50% right, you will always be getting half the questions wrong when it levels off (or that's my understanding).

Even if you did fail it's not the end of the world.  But I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.  It's just not an exam people feel good about.

Many people feel that way.  I had no idea if I passed or not and I did very well.  Because it's adaptive testing that gets harder and harder until you are only getting 50% right, you will always be getting half the questions wrong when it levels off (or that's my understanding).

Even if you did fail it's not the end of the world.  But I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.  It's just not an exam people feel good about.

Oh thank god

it sucks if you do poorly but even then it doesn't have much impact for most places (I hear Quebec schools can do some weird delayed graduation thing but other than that I haven't heard of any actual restrictions)

and yeah - very hard to know how well you are doing on that test for sure ha.

if it makes you feel any better, me and everyone else ive spoken too basically feel the same. Just enjoy the time off between now and residency and hope for the best. No one walks out of the exam feeling good AFAIK

Same for all my colleagues, myself included.

Passing is a requirement to graduate at my school which really sucks if you don't as you can't start residency.

Archived