Premed 101 Forums

Sudbury Housing And Car

Hi all,

I really need some help from those who are familiar with NOSM east as I will be moving to Sudbury later in the summer. I would really appreciate the feedback of those who are current NOSM east students.

have no idea what areas would be good to live in- not just safe, but also convenient to get to wherever I will be expected to go as a med student other than Laurentian. For example, during the times in the week where we are in the community (called CIL I think?), where can I be expected to travel? Or is it all over the place? I don't have a car right now and would really like to avoid getting a car if at all possible. Really come at this from the angle of whether it is possible at all to do without the car, not whether it will be challenging. I can deal with the challenge and have been using the bus system in Thunder Bay (not a good system) for work for many years now- inconvenient for sure, but I've managed.

Please tell me what areas I should be looking at to keep things as convenient as possible considering I am hoping to be using transit. If you really feel like transit is just impossible in Sudbury as a med student, then please advise me wherever you still feel would be the closest places to live with a car considering where med students need to frequently go.

I am hoping to find a place where I can easily walk/take short bus ride no transfers to a grocery store, get to Laurentian and the hospital without any transfers and under a 30 minute bus ride, and of course in a safe area as I am going to be on my own (and I'm female). I would like to ideally rent a bachelor or 1 bedroom apartment in a security building (need keys to get in the building), and I do not want to live in a basement or in anyone's home. It would be ideal if I could get a place inc utilities for around $600.

A big part of my confusion is not knowing how to logistically plan this because of unfamiliarity with the med school curriculum and travel expectations during each week.

Thank you so much for your help!

Med_Pack

Hey Med_Pack,

I can help you out with some of that information (even though I am not a current student) as I have lived in Sudbury my whole life so I can help answer some of those questions.

Sudbury does not have good transportation systems so it would be ideal to have a car. The routes and number of runs a day are brutal, I would highly recommend a car. The bus you would take to school also takes you to the hospital so that is convenient. If you are located in the South End you could probably bus under 30 minutes since if you live in New Sudbury you would need to transfer to get to the school. 

Finding a place for 600$/month might be tough to find unless you are willing to have a roommate especially if you want a safe and comfortable area to live in. I would say to avoid downtown as it is not the most safe to live in even though you might find cheap apartments there.

That's all I can help you with from that point of view so hopeful some current students can help you out! :) 

Hi All_Canadian,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response!

Can you explain to me how Sudbury is broken down? You mentioned New Sudbury...is there Old Sudbury or something too? You mentioned South End...that gives me some starting points to look...if you think of anything else, please let me know, thanks!

I was saying the rent amount from looking at many kijiji ads that indicate it may be a reasonable or at least close to reasonable rent. If I have to go a bit more though, I can.

Do you know anyone who lives in mature student residence or has any feedback on how it is? Are the prices quoted on the website for the whole year or just for 8 months? If anyone on here knows, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks again guys!

Hey Again, 

Sudbury has a lot of different parts just due to our large size. The main parts would be New Sudbury (this is where the main malls and big stores such as costco are located), South End (this is kinda where the hospital and the university is located), Downtown (really good restaurants are there!), West End, East End...and then you would start working your way further out of the main city part with Copper Cliff, Lively, Coniston, Falconbridge... (many names that probably wont help...I would recommend finding a map it is probably easier to visualize).

A good place for 1 bedroom and near campus goes for around $700 minimum usually. 

If you have any other questions along the way I'll try and answer them too!

Was thinking of holding off joining it until work knows...in the meantime, if anyone on here has any useful info, please share. If the Mature student rez fee is for 12 months and not 8, I am leaning towards that just out of convenience...but if it's 8, that's pricey...

Incase anyone else is interested, I called Laurentian housing, and basically, it's $992/month to live in MSR...that is really pricey for a 1 bedroom apartment but I understand it's the convenience factor....are there any apartment buildings close to campus?

beanpsp, do you know if most med students at NOSM who are on their own live in mature student rez? Do you know how much it is for 12 months?

Most live off campus. There are at least 6 from 1st nd 2nd year that live on campus in MSR now. Last year it was $925/month but you can leave in the summer and move your stuff out if you don't want summer rent. But you can place a hold on the apt for 250$/month over the summer so you don't have to move out.

Most live off campus. There are at least 6 from 1st nd 2nd year that live on campus in MSR now. Last year it was $925/month but you can leave in the summer and move your stuff out if you don't want summer rent. But you can place a hold on the apt for 250$/month over the summer so you don't have to move out.

So for those who live off campus, do you know what the common areas are in which to rent? Thanks by the way for all that helpful info!

So for those who live off campus, do you know what the common areas are in which to rent? Thanks by the way for all that helpful info!

4 corners is pretty popular, downtown, Other people live in new Sudbury but I think the traffic can be a pain from there. I'm not originally from Sudbury so I don't really know the names of areas.

Was thinking of holding off joining it until work knows...in the meantime, if anyone on here has any useful info, please share. If the Mature student rez fee is for 12 months and not 8, I am leaning towards that just out of convenience...but if it's 8, that's pricey...

Hey!

Its a private group I don't know if that alleviated your concerns? I would join sooner rather than later. Theres tons of great info on there :)

I found it really helpful when I was accepted in the past.

Congratulations on your acceptance

Looking forward to meeting the incoming class

I second the "join the facebook group" comment.  I had a friend facebook stalk it to see what an outside could see as I hadn't told a few people yet when I joined it.  If she went searching for the group using the exact name she could see I was a member but couldn't see any content. If she just did random searches for NOSM it didn't come up.  And nothing showed in my feed or her feed about joining. 

I've found an apartment for the fall through the group and it's fun to start to make early connections with our classmates.  The upper year students have been super warm and welcoming and many have offered advice/answered questions. 

I'd strongly encourage you to join!

Another question- how are people checking out places from far away if you don't live in the city? I don't live in Sudbury but I'll be going to the east campus. It's kind of expensive for flights ....not sure if others are going there to check out possible housing first or...?

Beanpsp, do you know how big the units are at MSR? Trying to figure out whether that would be better or a rental near the university/hospital area in terms of best space/bang for buck.

Archived