Premed 101 Forums

Here To Answer Questions About Western Pt!

Hello everyone! Just decided to start up another thread as I'm sure a few of you have some decisions to make over the next few weeks. If you've got any questions regarding the program that we've got here at Western, student life in London, or absolutely anything else, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them! We also have a facebook group that's getting started up by our PT student council, once that's up you guys can also post some question there!

Hey UWOPT17! I have been placed on Western's PT waitlist (middle-third) and I was just curious if you had any information about my chances of being offered a position (perhaps from previous year experiences/statistics). I know every year will be different but any additional information would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm currently on the 'upper third' waiting list for UWO PT.. but they upped the number of waitlisted to 182 this year. Any guess of my prospect of getting in?

Hi PT2018Hopeful,

Western's waitlist saw a lot of movement last year actually. IIRC, we actually went all the way into the middle third of our waitlist. I hope this instills some confidence. 

Best of luck!

Do you like the campus. How organized are the programs? Any special placements available?

Being a university town, Western is situated nicely in the middle of all of your necessities and amenities. With that said, the PT program has its own building which is shared with OT, CSD, and Audiology, which definitely helps in promoting interprofessional practice. 

Western's program and curriculum committee work hard to ensure our learning is put at the forefront by organizing programs in a logical and efficient way. Each course builds upon another in most cases, which helps you retain your knowledge as well as build on it in systematic manner.

In terms of special placements, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "special" so if you could elaborate or message UWOPT17 or myself directly, that would be excellent.

Hope this helps!

Do you have any recommendations in terms of living and roommates? 

Many! Once you are accepted into the program, our PT student council will get in touch with you (either via facebook or email) in which case we will try our best to give you suggestions that are specific to you.

Hope this helps!

Do you have any recommendations in terms of living and roommates?

To elaborate a bit further on Dave's response, I'd say around half our class is living south of campus due to Elborn being at the very bottom of Western's official "campus". If you're looking for roomies, there are a few second years that are looking to fill spots in their houses starting in September. You could try your luck posting on the Facebook group, which is actually what I did last year! Hope that helps, if you've got anything else to ask fire away!

Hey guys, I will be accepting my offer to western PT, as things settle, I'm looking to rent a house out there with a few PT students, think it'll be pretty cool that way.

Hey, congrats on getting in and looking forwards to seeing you next year! If you want to look for housing I'd suggest you join the facebook group we just set up, its entitled Western MPT 2017/2018. You can post there if you wanna room with other first years, or I could also PM you a few second years that I know are looking for roommates!

I am worried about the partial accreditation as well. Also, what do you think sets Western apart from the other Ontario PT schools? 

Hey! Unfortunately I may not have the best answer in regards to our accreditation, however if Dave pops back in here he'd probably have a good answer since he's one of our PTSC members working towards getting us fully accredited again!

In terms of what sets us apart, I'd definitely have to say our small class size is a huge benefit! As crazy as it seems, we've all managed to gel really well together and we've become one huge PT family, as corny as that sounds! Because of our small class size, all of your classes are together and you get to know all your classmates really quickly, which is especially important if its your first time living in London. I've ran across a few people in the other PT programs in Ontario, and it definitely seems that we're one of the more tighter knit and fun classes. As a class, we are always trying to get together and do stuff outside of class, and some of the things we've done this year include intramural teams in almost every sport, a few ski trips up to Blue Mountain, as well as charity dodgeball, beach volleyball and golf tournaments. That's not even mentioning the fact that London as a city is absolutely amazing for student life!

In terms of strict academics, one huge thing that sets Western apart is that many of our profs are actually instructors of many post-graduate OPA classes. As such, once you graduate Western's PT program you can actually take your Level 1 Manual Therapy tests right out of school, which I believe is something unique to Western. Coupled with our association to the Fowler Kennedy Sports Clinic, Western has an amazing set of resources available if you're interested in pursuing orthopedic practice. If you're the adventurous type, we also have an extremely large catchment area for placements that covers essentially all of Southern Ontario west of Kitchener, as well as a few international placement options (South Africa and Australia are on the table next year)!

Hope that clears things up, if you guys have any more questions don't hesitate to send them our way!

What are some downsides to Western's PT program?

One of the main downsides I'd say is the pretty heavy workload we're given, especially in the first two semesters. Its a solid 8:30-3:30/4:30 every day, and that's not even including self study time or pre readings! It takes pretty solid self management skills to maintain a healthy balance during the school year! Between practicals and writtens our exam periods can get pretty hectic too, but definitely manageable with good study habits.

So i've firmly accepted my offer on my ORPAS account already and was wondering when I should expect to hear more from Western!? So excited!

Congrats on the acceptance, I look forwards to meeting ya next year! Once we get a final list of the members of the class of 2018, our awesome social reps and co-prez crew will be sending out an email with more details about what your next steps will be. We're also hoping to have another edition of our newsletter out around that time too, which should give you guys some helpful tips like popular places to live. In the meantime, join our Facebook group if you haven't already, it's Western MPT 2017/2018, we'll probably post updates there as well!

One of the main downsides I'd say is the pretty heavy workload we're given, especially in the first two semesters. Its a solid 8:30-3:30/4:30 every day, and that's not even including self study time or pre readings! It takes pretty solid self management skills to maintain a healthy balance during the school year! Between practicals and writtens our exam periods can get pretty hectic too, but definitely manageable with good study habits.

I would imagine this would be very similar with all the other programs too. I was hoping to hear of something that is more specific to Western. Comon, there has to be some downsides unique to Western's program lol. not trying to be negative but i want to hear both about negatives and positives about each program to make the right choice for myself.

I would imagine this would be very similar with all the other programs too. I was hoping to hear of something that is more specific to Western. Comon, there has to be some downsides unique to Western's program lol. not trying to be negative but i want to hear both about negatives and positives about each program to make the right choice for myself.

The building is not the greatest. In fact it's an old elementary school i think. There's barely any windows in the lecture rooms we're always in so it gets pretty depressing. The building is also situated pretty much away from everyone else. We have some amazing profs but some of them are really old school and love their overhead projector. We're pretty low on the funding list from Western so we don't have amazing state of the art technology to play with, but we do have some seminars where we get to play with cool stuff on the main campus. The integration of courses and how they fit together is probably not the best, but i feel like the onus sometimes should be placed on the student to put everything together and not the faculty to do it for us. 

From what I gathered from friends in other schools in Ontario, we do a lot more orthopedics stuff (labs, lectures, labs and labs). Our neuro rehab also have lots of labs so from a handling perspective Western is pretty great. I think i read somewhere that people were worried about the cardioresp from Western. I don't think it's anything to worry about. We have plenty of coverage for it just not as much as say UofT where they basically did a semester of it, whereas Western incorporates it into multiple classes. 

Then there's the partial accreditation part. Nothing to worry about. The things that were flagged were things like we didn't have enough student involvement in decisions, we need a better business course, and we have too many "external" instructors. Most of these concerns are pretty much addressed and the school's pretty confident at regaining full accreditation this summer. And to be honest, our 'external' instructors might be the best ones we have because they're still practicing, and they give you real advice, situations, and concerns. 

I'm not saying Western is the best program for PT because I wouldn't know, but the people here are great and the experience so far is pretty amazing. 

The building is not the greatest. In fact it's an old elementary school i think. There's barely any windows in the lecture rooms we're always in so it gets pretty depressing. The building is also situated pretty much away from everyone else. We have some amazing profs but some of them are really old school and love their overhead projector. We're pretty low on the funding list from Western so we don't have amazing state of the art technology to play with, but we do have some seminars where we get to play with cool stuff on the main campus. The integration of courses and how they fit together is probably not the best, but i feel like the onus sometimes should be placed on the student to put everything together and not the faculty to do it for us. 

From what I gathered from friends in other schools in Ontario, we do a lot more orthopedics stuff (labs, lectures, labs and labs). Our neuro rehab also have lots of labs so from a handling perspective Western is pretty great. I think i read somewhere that people were worried about the cardioresp from Western. I don't think it's anything to worry about. We have plenty of coverage for it just not as much as say UofT where they basically did a semester of it, whereas Western incorporates it into multiple classes. 

Then there's the partial accreditation part. Nothing to worry about. The things that were flagged were things like we didn't have enough student involvement in decisions, we need a better business course, and we have too many "external" instructors. Most of these concerns are pretty much addressed and the school's pretty confident at regaining full accreditation this summer. And to be honest, our 'external' instructors might be the best ones we have because they're still practicing, and they give you real advice, situations, and concerns. 

I'm not saying Western is the best program for PT because I wouldn't know, but the people here are great and the experience so far is pretty amazing. 

Alright coool. Thank you for answering, this really helps. Do you expect any changes to be made to the program from last year since Western is trying to obtain full accreditation?

Alright coool. Thank you for answering, this really helps. Do you expect any changes to be made to the program from last year since Western is trying to obtain full accreditation?

Changes have been being made throughout the past couple of years and there's probably more things they're changing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea of when they start calling people on the waitlist?

I believe the waitlist is rolling, and they call people as spots open up. Since today was the deadline where provisional acceptances become firm, there may be a surge of calls going out as the waitlists move. Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived