Premed 101 Forums

Usdo, Just How Important Is An Upward Trend?

My Stats are as follows

GPA: 2.5, 3.1, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0 (converted GPA to USDO schools, I go to Western)

MCAT: Straight 11's

ECs: I think they're above average. I worked as a photographer, tutored, 1000+ hours of volunteering, 200+ hours of shadowing, ~100 hours of research (didn't like it so I chose not to pursue it further), and I've been an Exec on many clubs on campus and founded one.

So unfortunately my cGPA is 3.52, sGPA: 3.4

Most DO schools have average cGPAs of 3.58, so I was wondering if the upward trend would help offset being on the lower end? -- Should I bother with USMD as well? or would that be a stretch with where I'm at

And I am aware that I have competitive stats for 3 ON schools, but I am planning for the very high chance I am rejected at these schools.

Appreciate any advice

Will your MCAT allow you to interview at western? I guess it changes every year.

If you were to buckle down and destroy the new MCAT (bump it up from 33 to the equivalent of 37+) you may have a shot at USMD too.

Honestly with your upward trend, assuming full load, I would apply to USMD too. If you have strong ecs you may get lucky. Write a strong personal statement, and put your heart into writing out your non academic experience etc.

Apply to 10 of the most Canadian friendly USMD school, and then apply to the 10 Canadian friendly USDO programs and you will have done your due diligence

Apply early though and dont wait around. Its about that time of year.

Apply to the 3 ON schools you are competitive for(I'm assuming Western, queens and Ottawa?) And hope for the best. Dont count yourself out yet!

Outcomes:

1. Get into Canadian MD

2. Rejected Canadian MD, but get into USMD

3. Rejected Canadian/US MD but get into USDO. Attend USDO, but reapply 1 more time to Canadian MD while M1. If accepted, return and restart M1 in Canada. If rejected continue on with USDO with no regrets and no time wasted.

VR11 and cGPA 3.52 with outstanding Casper, McMaster still have a chance.

For USMD, apply Wayne State, SUNY-Upstate, Rosalind, Oakland, Jefferson, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, NYMC, Albert Einstein, etc.

For USDO, your chance is much better than Canada and USMD.

Good luck.

Will your MCAT allow you to interview at western? I guess it changes every year.

If you were to buckle down and destroy the new MCAT (bump it up from 33 to the equivalent of 37+) you may have a shot at USMD too.

Honestly with your upward trend, assuming full load, I would apply to USMD too. If you have strong ecs you may get lucky. Write a strong personal statement, and put your heart into writing out your non academic experience etc.

Apply to 10 of the most Canadian friendly USMD school, and then apply to the 10 Canadian friendly USDO programs and you will have done your due diligence

Apply early though and dont wait around. Its about that time of year.

Apply to the 3 ON schools you are competitive for(I'm assuming Western, queens and Ottawa?) And hope for the best. Dont count yourself out yet!

Outcomes:

1. Get into Canadian MD

2. Rejected Canadian MD, but get into USMD

3. Rejected Canadian/US MD but get into USDO. Attend USDO, but reapply 1 more time to Canadian MD while M1. If accepted, return and restart M1 in Canada. If rejected continue on with USDO with no regrets and no time wasted.

VR11 and cGPA 3.52 with outstanding Casper, McMaster still have a chance.

For USMD, apply Wayne State, SUNY-Upstate, Rosalind, Oakland, Jefferson, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, NYMC, Albert Einstein, etc.

For USDO, your chance is much better than Canada and USMD.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. So If I do apply to CanMD (UWO, Queens, uOttawa, Dal, McMaster), and 10 USMD along with 10USDO, do I have a reasonable chance at interviews? I'm not hanging by a thread am I?

I'm scared to ask -- but if my chances are slim at the above, would you suggest I consider International?

Thanks for the response. So If I do apply to CanMD (UWO, Queens, uOttawa, Dal, McMaster), and 10 USMD along with 10USDO, do I have a reasonable chance at interviews? I'm not hanging by a thread am I?

I'm scared to ask -- but if my chances are slim at the above, would you suggest I consider International?

I guess you have near 50% to get one or more interview in Canada and USMD, If your ECs really above average and you didn't screw in the application process.

Your interview for USDO is much higher than 50% at every Canadian friendly USDO school, MSU (Michigan state university) has a special DO program for Canadian.

Just my guess, no guaranty, sometimes you need luck and direction. Good luck.

I will NOT go international.

Definitely very reasonable.

You have a 4.0 and 33 mcat, you stand a decent chance at the Canadian schools. For McMaster you'll have to do well on CASPER of course. 

You have absolutely no reason to go international.

Archived