Premed 101 Forums

Yorku Premed - What 4Th Year Courses Are Good?

History of Psych with Dr. Bazar was a surprisingly interesting course that was marked super fair. Two midterms, one research paper (8 pages double spaced with little things through the semester to ensure you're on target) and a non-cumulative exam. Study her slides and do the small weekly readings and A+ is super doable.

Health Psych with Dr. Trobst was also really easy, 3 non cumulative tests and that's it. MC = 75% and an essay question for 25%. Essay question she will give you two possible questions and one will for sure be on the test. If that wasn't good enough she also gives you the pages in the text to look for your answer.

Psych of women with valoo I ended up scraping in with an A+ so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really interested in the subject matter and don't mind doing every reading and studying pretty hard especially for the final. Her long answer questions on the tests were pretty vague and others incredibly specific so do what you will with that knowledge.

The only KINE courses I've taken is human phys 1+2 so I'm sure you've taken those.

EDIT: These are all 3rd year courses, I read your post as "upper year level courses" so I'm not too sure how useful this info is  :P

I would add Secondary Prevention of Heart Disease with Dr. Sherry Grace. Amazing course and great prof who is an active researcher and very passionate about her work. Relatively easy A+, especially if you've taken Phys II.

Thanks for the feedback! Does she test a lot from the textbook? 

History of Psych with Dr. Bazar was a surprisingly interesting course that was marked super fair. Two midterms, one research paper (8 pages double spaced with little things through the semester to ensure you're on target) and a non-cumulative exam. Study her slides and do the small weekly readings and A+ is super doable.

Health Psych with Dr. Trobst was also really easy, 3 non cumulative tests and that's it. MC = 75% and an essay question for 25%. Essay question she will give you two possible questions and one will for sure be on the test. If that wasn't good enough she also gives you the pages in the text to look for your answer.

Psych of women with valoo I ended up scraping in with an A+ so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really interested in the subject matter and don't mind doing every reading and studying pretty hard especially for the final. Her long answer questions on the tests were pretty vague and others incredibly specific so do what you will with that knowledge.

The only KINE courses I've taken is human phys 1+2 so I'm sure you've taken those.

EDIT: These are all 3rd year courses, I read your post as "upper year level courses" so I'm not too sure how useful this info is  :P

haha thanks for the feedback! I'm taking 2 3rd year courses so I will definitely consider these. I had Valoo this year as a matter of fact; very interesting professor lol. 

4th year psyc courses are pretty annoying. They are very different from 2nd and 3rd year courses. Most are seminars and have major papers worth 50% and the rest is smaller assignments and presentations. Getting A+ proved to be pretty hard for me in them but if you work hard it's achievable.

I took Neuropsychology of Abnormal Behaviour (PSYC4080) with Kopinska. She is extremely disorganized and condescending. she encourages doing shrooms, dmt, and marijuana. She spent one full lecture on why everyone should become a vegetarian and spiritual. She continuously criticizes the field of medicine for being too "mechanical" and not holistic (she's a naturopathic enthusiast). Basically she's a first class hipster.

With that said, if you can pretend to like her and make her like you back she will give you an A+. She gives a bunch of bonus marks for just attending class and answering questions to videos.

4th year psyc courses are pretty annoying. They are very different from 2nd and 3rd year courses. Most are seminars and have major papers worth 50% and the rest is smaller assignments and presentations. Getting A+ proved to be pretty hard for me in them but if you work hard it's achievable.

I took Neuropsychology of Abnormal Behaviour (PSYC4080) with Kopinska. She is extremely disorganized and condescending. she encourages doing shrooms, dmt, and marijuana. She spent one full lecture on why everyone should become a vegetarian and spiritual. She continuously criticizes the field of medicine for being too "mechanical" and not holistic (she's a naturopathic enthusiast). Basically she's a first class hipster.

With that said, if you can pretend to like her and make her like you back she will give you an A+. She gives a bunch of bonus marks for just attending class and answering questions to videos.

Haha sounds like a pain in the butt. How's the workload in that class?

Also, there are a load of pre-reqs for that course! Is there any way to take it without taking them?

Haha sounds like a pain in the butt. How's the workload in that class?

Also, there are a load of pre-reqs for that course! Is there any way to take it without taking them?

It was a pretty busy course to be honest. She posted 1h long videos after class and we had to watch all of them cause they showed up on the test. 

But the prereqs are strict! a couple of people got kicked out because they didn't have one of the prereqs, so I wouldn't recommend taking the course unless you have them. 

It was a pretty busy course to be honest. She posted 1h long videos after class and we had to watch all of them cause they showed up on the test. 

But the prereqs are strict! a couple of people got kicked out because they didn't have one of the prereqs, so I wouldn't recommend taking the course unless you have them. 

Well, I guess that's off the list then haha. 

• 3 years later...

Some of the psych courses potentially. 

4030: behaviour modification/behaviour therapy is technically A+ doable with Lorne Sugar, but you'll likely squeak an 89.5. Approximately 45-50% of the final grade is MCQ tests, meaning you would need to get 80-85% on the subjective parts of the course. Interesting course though.

4050 Personality Theory and Behaviour Disorders. with Trobst is another. ~40% for tests, but she does mark papers quite fairly, so 85-90% on them is quite doable. Super interesting course though, and the stuff from this course REALLY helped with my psychiatry rotation in med school ;)