Premed 101 Forums

Seeking Advice: Current Mac And/or Western Students - Ot

I have been accepted to Mac & Western for OT--YAY!  Now I need to choose a program and I'm hoping for some advice from current students or grads.

Quick background: My undergrad was Integrated Marketing Communication & Digital Media, Psychology Minor and I graduated 6 years ago from an American university.  My cumGPA: 3.8 / subGPA: 3.96.  I will be commuting from Kitchener/Waterloo.  (I had almost no science courses and the ones I did have are nowhere in my memory bank at this point.)

I was leaning toward McMaster, but have been seriously struggling with the PBL/SDL learning format.  I typically enjoy the traditional learning format, but I can understand the merit for PBL.  I recently got some feedback about the program from 2015 grads and it was almost unanimously negative.  The word "anxiety" was used far to frequently for comfort.  Not all, but some mentioned that interviewers/employers seem to favour Mac students because of how they were taught--advanced critical thinking/problem solving skills.  I don't know the accuracy of that idea. (I'm also not crazy about potential placements in Northern Ontario.)  

As for Western, I like that it's a more traditional format.  I've heard the labs are excellent and there are still a lot of group learning components (resembling PBL).  To me, it sounds more balanced and lacks the anxiety latent self directed learning.  I think I could be content here, but I worry that McMaster has the better program/provides more opportunity.  It's a further drive, but not by much and less busy.

I'm fully expecting school to be stressful, but stress and anxiety are very different and I don't want to hate the program after graduating; thinking back on it as the worst time in my life.  I want to be able to graduate and have the best chances of landing a decent job as soon as possible.  

If anyone could shed some light on either of these two programs I would be so appreciative!!

I'm at Mac in OT. I'm commuting from around there-ish also. I have done the drives to both western and Mac from kitchener and I know the drive to western can be really bad in the winter, so make sure you think about that.

As for Mac, I actually really like the PBL style. It's definitely really different from traditional and it's definitely not easy. I chose Mac because I wanted to challenge myself and have a bit of anxiety because that would push me to learn. But yeah some people don't like it much. It is a lot of work on your own sometimes. In term 1 it can be a bit overwhelming because it's so much foundational knowledge (like anatomy, psychology, etc.) and so it's a lot of learning right away, along with learning to be self-directed - but I've found it feels like it gets easier.

Feedback we're given about the program is that practicing OTs and employers do feel Mac students are better prepared for the workplace, due to what you said above.

Usually, there are enough students that want to do northern placements that you don't have to if you don't want to - but not always the case as far as I know (my class didn't have that issue).

I don't know anything about Western's program, sorry. Honestly though if this is what you want to do, I don't think you'll hate either program, and you have to just pick what's best for you! :)

I'm at Mac in OT. I'm commuting from around there-ish also. I have done the drives to both western and Mac from kitchener and I know the drive to western can be really bad in the winter, so make sure you think about that.

As for Mac, I actually really like the PBL style. It's definitely really different from traditional and it's definitely not easy. I chose Mac because I wanted to challenge myself and have a bit of anxiety because that would push me to learn. But yeah some people don't like it much. It is a lot of work on your own sometimes. In term 1 it can be a bit overwhelming because it's so much foundational knowledge (like anatomy, psychology, etc.) and so it's a lot of learning right away, along with learning to be self-directed - but I've found it feels like it gets easier.

Feedback we're given about the program is that practicing OTs and employers do feel Mac students are better prepared for the workplace, due to what you said above.

Usually, there are enough students that want to do northern placements that you don't have to if you don't want to - but not always the case as far as I know (my class didn't have that issue).

I don't know anything about Western's program, sorry. Honestly though if this is what you want to do, I don't think you'll hate either program, and you have to just pick what's best for you! :)

OTMac17, thanks so much for your feedback--very informative and lots to consider.  Your comments about PBL really shed some light on things.  My initial thoughts:  I naturally run on a little bit of anxiety (in every day life) and I push myself, sometimes a little too much; a little high strung (for better or worse).  I fear I might be one of those people who pushes themselves to insanity in a PBL format.  I know either program will force me out of comfort zones and challenge me, I guess it's just a matter of what kind of challenge I will thrive under.

Thanks again,  I really appreciate your insight :)

If anyone from Western has anything to offer that would be so helpful!

Archived