Premed 101 Forums

What Pt Schools To Apply For?

Hello,

I am looking for advice on how many PT schools I should apply to and which schools I should apply to. I applied to 3 schools for the 2016 intake and made it to the MMI at each school, but unfortunately did not make it. I know it does not matter what school you go to to as everyone writes the same exam in the end, but I've heard each school as their own unique focus, and was looking for some advice on which applications are a must do.

Thanks

sorry to hear that. Look into schools in the states. There are plenty such as D'Youville! Many Canadian students go there and you get a doctor of physical therapy degree in three years. I know plenty of physiotherapists that are practicing in Canada that attended D'Youville. I feel like people keep trying in canada but why not just go to the states and just come back in the same amount of time. If money is a factor look into loans. I've applied to D'Youville and got a tour, seems like an awesome school.

Toronto is the most reputable physical therapy school for sure. All the others are good but have some issues such as accreditation, teaching style etc. which can cause problems in the future when writing board exam.

Cheers. 

Since you made it to the MMI at multiple schools I would focus on improving your interview. As has been discussed on multiple threads, all the Canadian schools are excellent schools for PT, and it won't really matter where you get your degree. I'm not sure if you interviewed at Toronto, but even the woman who spoke to us - maybe the Dean, I forget her position exactly - was saying that all the schools are great, and regardless of which Canadian school you attend you'll be a strong physiotherapist able to provide excellent care to your patients.

You could also apply to more schools for the upcoming cycle - some schools don't even have interviews for PT (Queen's, Western).

In response to theFuture - I wouldn't necessarily say that ALL schools except Toronto have issues.. there's no doubt that some have more areas to improve, but all the schools are continuously improving  :)

Also note that students in Quebec don't have to write the national exam if they want to practice in Quebec - or even in some provinces like BC.

If money isn't an issue you could apply outside of Canada, but based on your results this cycle I think you could just apply to Canadian schools. Canadian PT schools are only two years, plus tuition is much lower! I don't know much about you though, and choosing where to apply and how many schools to apply to is really based on your preferences and what you want in the future.

If you have further questions you can always PM me.

sorry to hear that! Look into schools in the states! There are plenty such as D'Youville! Many Canadian students go there and you get a doctor of physical therapy degree in three years. I know plenty of physiotherapists that are practicing in Canada that attended D'Youville. I feel like people keep trying in canada but why not just go to the states and just come back in the same amount of time. If money is a factor look into loans! I've applied to D'Youville and got a tour, seems like an awesome school! 

Toronto is the most reputable physical therapy school for sure! All the others are good but have some issues such as accreditation, teaching style etc. which can cause problems in the future when writing board exam.

Cheers! 

Since you made it to the MMI at multiple schools I would focus on improving your interview. As has been discussed on multiple threads, all the Canadian schools are excellent schools for PT, and it won't really matter where you get your degree. I'm not sure if you interviewed at Toronto, but even the woman who spoke to us - maybe the Dean, I forget her position exactly - was saying that all the schools are great, and regardless of which Canadian school you attend you'll be a strong physiotherapist able to provide excellent care to your patients.

You could also apply to more schools for the upcoming cycle - some schools don't even have interviews for PT (Queen's, Western).

In response to theFuture - I wouldn't necessarily say that ALL schools except Toronto have issues.. there's no doubt that some have more areas to improve, but all the schools are continuously improving  :)

Also note that students in Quebec don't have to write the national exam if they want to practice in Quebec - or even in some provinces like BC.

If money isn't an issue you could apply outside of Canada, but based on your results this cycle I think you could just apply to Canadian schools. Canadian PT schools are only two years, plus tuition is much lower! I don't know much about you though, and choosing where to apply and how many schools to apply to is really based on your preferences and what you want in the future.

If you have further questions you can always PM me.

Thanks for the advice. I have also considered applying to schools in the states, but there are so many options in the states, I don't even know where to begin looking. 

Archived